memristor????

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
ok now im really puzzled. HP says they invented a dense memory device that looks like a resistor (memistor). how can one value of memory "remember"

its as if you decipher the number 12 from a binary code but you need more info to know they are eggs.... i mean how the hell is it possible????

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
ok with a bit of research i found out that 17 of these measure only 50nanometres wide, but still how is it possible???????????????????????????

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thanks. Still haven't read theory, though lots of links come up. The only thing that jumps out at me is it is apparently an analog storage device, not digital. Quantum dots are further ahead, and are pure digital in nature, in a quantum sort of way.

I was reading an article saying they had actually come up with prototype quantum dot memories that were both nonvolatile (like the memistor) and much faster than any conventional RAM in existence today. Quantum dots are on the same scale, maybe a bit smaller than memistors. It's going to be interesting in how both are used.

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
Thanks. Still haven't read theory, though lots of links come up. The only thing that jumps out at me is it is apparently an analog storage device, not digital. Quantum dots are further ahead, and are pure digital in nature, in a quantum sort of way.

I was reading an article saying they had actually come up with prototype quantum dot memories that were both nonvolatile (like the memistor) and much faster than any conventional RAM in existence today.

ok , but how is supposed memory can be stored in between atoms?? electron position??? i mean the whole thing is only 150 atoms thick, titanium (used for memistors) has 4 missing electrons in the outer shell, and using chemistry laws they are in a tetrahedral position, so if they rotate faster than speed of light it would reduce the space between the electrons of different atoms to a fraction of a billionth of a nanometer? how is supposed this to be an analog thing??? im kinda messed up i think

i wonder wt type of genious einstein came up with this and how rich he will be cos he must be a real genious =S

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you follow the links the gentleman who originally came up with the concept did so over 40 years ago, long enough for the idea to become public domain. HP was able to move theory to practice. How? Beats me, we'll see theory eventually.

Quantum dots use electron positions and energy states, far as I can tell. When you start talking Quantum Physics there is an element of otherworldliness, as the rules are totally different than on our macro scale. A lot like magic. They still depend on averaging of many samples (I think), because quantum events have a tendency to be several places at once, or flip states unexpectedly.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
If it were simple to understand and implement, then it would have been in common use many years ago. It's going to be interesting to see what sort of developments take place now.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)

Joker

Joined Mar 29, 2009
This is an old thread and memristor technology has moved on. Memristors have to be small so that the voltage gradient can be great enough to move atoms and also small enough so the atoms go in the right direction.

Memristors rely on the fact that small voltages will not move the atoms significantly, higher voltages move the atoms but the distance they travel depends on the charge put through the device. As the atoms are moved then they produce a region which has a high resistance. Thus the greater the energy of a pulse then the greater the resistance. That resistance can be measured at any time later providing the measuring current is small.

Thus memristors can store information about the energy they were subjected to. Changing the current polarity can reset them.