Member Title Poll

Do you want an extension the current AAC titling?

• YES

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Doesn't Matter to me!

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • NO

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
This poll is to see how many people would like to see an extension to the titling system at AAC.

Since opening the previous thread, it seems that 3 were for it, and many against it. This is your chance to vote!

The titles would be non-indicative of experience, so, no expert, master, etc. Just ones like the ones Bill came up with.

100+ AAC Member
500+ Serious AAC Member
1000+ Lives on AAC
5000+ ACC Addict

Which could be an extension of the junior, regular, and senior member titling we have now.

Steve

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
I think an important benefit of ranking systems is that members who have become "senior" have a reputation to protect - you wouldn't expect drive-by Spam from them. In addition they feel a "duty" to share their knowledge and experience.
This is one convincing post from another forum, which makes sense to me. Although, we have a sense of that already, but I would like to see more levels if everyone agrees.

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Steve, as this thread is one of a going concern on the forums, I will momentarily stick the thread to the head of the Off-Topic forum and unpin it once the poll has finished.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I was one who voted don't care. It can be useful, sometimes, but overall doesn't affect us much.

Another thought though, there are a few posters who go out of their way to teach and help (besides the excellent moderators and administrators). Maybe a special title for them, decided by the powers that be?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello Bill,

There are a couple I would like to nominate for a "master" tiltle.
You are among them with I would say SgtWookie and Audioguru,
You three are very active with posts that are very respectful and meaningful.
Of course there is a great team of forum leaders and administrators.

Greeting,
Bertus

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Bill_Marsden said:
Another thought though, there are a few posters who go out of their way to teach and help (besides the excellent moderators and administrators). Maybe a special title for them, decided by the powers that be?
Obi-Wan Kenobi ?

John

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I voted NO.

Although I have considerable experience, I do not consider myself a "Master" of electronics. Learning about electronics is truly a lifelong endeavor. Those who think they "know it all" are terribly misinformed.

As I asserted in the other thread, I feel that changing the structure of the titles would not add anything to the content of the forums; but may very well serve as a distraction to the intent of the forums.

I do not wish for false titles like "Master member" or anything of the sort. "Senior member" is perhaps appropriate, because I'm nearing retirement age.

This forum is about electronics, and closely related topics.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Why would one want to mess up this forum by starting "posting wars" or some such?

Not me.

Leave it the way it is. It works for me.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
The titles would be non-indicative of experience, so, no expert, master, etc.
Wookie,

As I mentioned above, I am not posing anything of a nature that indicates knowledge or experience. It merely indicates participation and perhaps contribution. I am just suggesting to add depth to our current ranking system, to make it more interesting and important to those who have such ranks.

Sure, some people may think it is ridiculous, but others may find it interesting. Perhaps it will give a sense of ownership and reputation? If it benefits some, but doesn't phase others, then what is the harm?

Steve

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
I voted yes, because I like the names.
My thought would be to ask the person if they want the new name. Not everyone wants the responsibility to be king. Some might be content with junior member for life. As would I. Or, maybe use the existing system, and use the add-on Steve suggests? Something like member+teacher. Or senior member+ACC addict?
Someone could always ask later for promotion.
As always, I am just the handyman, so thank you all.
Dan

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Maybe it should be the quality of a post rather than the number; but who would like to judge ? In 5 years I'll have my 1000 posts and become a "'SENIOR "again.