meeting people ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am wondering your opinon on where to meet new people / start new relationships.

I have tried the bars / clubs and those are ok from time to time but have to say alot of the ones I go to recently draw the wrong group of people.

Never tried the meet up group internet thing so maybe give that a try but curious on your thoughts....

Looking to meet people in the 25 - 30 years of age range (though a little under or over is not bad)

Both into making friend with (girl or guys ) for doing fun activities like bowling , fishing , skiing ,...etc
And romantic relationship between only a girl ( I am picky when it comes to this )

Question 2
Is where did you meet most of your friends and relationships in ?
Was it school , work , .... others ?

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I met my wife in high school - In fact today is our 11 year wedding aniversary. We were friends, and it just grew into more. Those are the relationships that last, I think. So make relationships that last. Let the relationship grow into more than just friends (and I'm not talking about sex) - male or female - doesn't matter. Those are the friends you want. Friends you go camping with, pass out with, eat lunch with, etc. You'll find that you'll also end up getting married at the same time, having kids at the same time, going on trips at the same time, and growing old together as a group.

I've met a lot of my friends at work and school. You just tend to gravitate to people that you like and have similar interests. I do have a saying though - 'I choose my friends after 5 on Friday' - this helps me realize that I need friends outside of work too. Some of my closest friends I've made at work, but have not worked closely together.

Coffee shops, hiking trails, library, church, restaurants, ski-lift, beach, etc, are also great places to meet people. Just meet people where they are. You're around people all the time - talk with them! We've been trained not to talk to people. Having a outgoing daughter has helped me realize this. She talks to everybody - it doesn't matter where we are at.

I've thought about seeing if there is anyone here interested in meeting up if they are in Denver, but I haven't really pursued it. We obviously already have something in common - electronics! I'd love to show off my oscilloscopes!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Mathematics,

If you find a good place to meet women, please let me know. I am still looking after over 30 years. :)

Actually I have a hard time meeting people. I am very shy at first. I would never go up to anyone, especially a woman ans just start talking. I need an excuse to start talking. Even then, I find it difficult to ask that tough question "Would you like to go out sometime".

Volunteer events are a good place. I meet a very attractive woman at one but again couldn't ask the tough question.

If you are straight then meeting guy friends is really hard. I think there is the whole homosexual thing going on in both of your brains. I think that just takes time to build a good relationship.

I really don't have many friends because I am particular of who I call friend. I really don't want to waste my time on most people. And that goes with women too. Frankly I would rather be alone then dating someone I don't really like just for the sake of dating them.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
This is off-topic from the original off-topic post.

To me, the "funniest" thing about most sitcoms is that the people whose laughter you hear are mostly dead, since the sound tracks were recorded at radio broadcasts in the forties and fifties.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Don't know. I don't really have friends. I'm not social by nature. But I did meet my fiancee online, after years and years of meeting people who didn't do it for me.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I am sometimes contacted by woman through online communities and for instance Skype.

As soon as they get the feeling I am not too much generous and not talking about vacation and cars, as well mentioning my spiders, they drop off without ever to say anything like "Good Bye".

The best way to meet people is through work or common interests.

Bar or Disco or party- these people are not serious. It does not mix well with technology. Often these people are proletarian and show some profanity as well through their clothing and communications.

During the past 5 years really the mindset I have formed is like that: I do not like people at all who don't do any actual work. And there are plenty around of these, you can see quickly, they talk and they are interested in vacation, cars, fashion, and consumerism.

Sometimes when I meet people I talk about SONY and also I mention the SONY Biography (which I have read a few times). They either like it or not- and that's the end after that pretty much.

I am not really totally intellectual, but I demand some standards for communication. Really even business contacts showing one or two instances of profanity- and after that I search for a polite way to get rid of them asap.

As I mentioned, my spiders and various insects, or my collection of DPRK items (north Korean stamps, coins, etc.)

You should judge a person by his or her deeds, not by the words, most people do the latter. One single instance or mentioning of DPRK- they believe I am a hardened communist.

So the question is not if I support DPRK. You should rather ask if DPRK supports me. I have not yet received any TV sets, wine bottles, gold chains and all the like.

If you want to meet people, at first make clear for yourself why you want to, and what you expect from it, and also what you absolutely not want. It is sad- most people out there are mainly interested in vacation, cars, and money.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I don't think it is the lack of generosity that is scaring them away. Any woman with half a brain would be running for the hills from someone that allows insects and spiders to live in their home. And I would suspect that someone that allows insects or spiders to live in their home has other behaviors that would make anyone run the other way.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
This really works

Here's an example.

My wife and I were out celebrating my birthday a few days ago at our favorite establishment. They brew their own beer, so you can have samples of anything. Plus beer or draft root beer to go. So I made a joke about mixing 1/2 root beer and 1/2 of a draft beer they have called - I kid you not ...Dark Helmet.

So the bartender (who we didn't know) looks at me, rolls her eyes and walks away. But then a couple minutes later brings a sample of that mixture. Try it - not bad actually.
So we all have a good laugh. The guy and gal next to us are chuckling.
He say's: I think they should produce that, call it Dark Helmoot.
So we struck up a nice conversation with them and the bartender. All good fun. Found out they were out celebrating HIS b'day to come in a week etc...

Just a smile and a sense of humor goes a long way.

Spiders, pillbugs, drugstore beetles, ants, and a small Elephant.
I'm starting to like Takao ;):D

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I am wondering your opinon on where to meet new people / start new relationships.

I have tried the bars / clubs and those are ok from time to time but have to say alot of the ones I go to recently draw the wrong group of people.

Never tried the meet up group internet thing so maybe give that a try but curious on your thoughts....

Looking to meet people in the 25 - 30 years of age range (though a little under or over is not bad)

Both into making friend with (girl or guys ) for doing fun activities like bowling , fishing , skiing ,...etc
And romantic relationship between only a girl ( I am picky when it comes to this )

Question 2
Is where did you meet most of your friends and relationships in ?
Was it school , work , .... others ?
If your looking for friends to participate in fun activities, it's best to do the fun activities and meet the other people who are doing the same thing.

I discovered many years ago that learning to dance will put women into your arms.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Mathematic's , Can't let this pass....there craigs list...you can go directly....TO GO.

ROLL THE DICE. Math....50/50

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I was a loner in school so I didn't really get to start any real relationships there, but for normal people (define "normal" however you like, as long as it's other than sitting in corners reading books or staying cooped up in an 8x10 foot dorm room whenever you don't have class) school is often the best place to meet a potential future wife. Especially between the ages of 16 and 22--high school and uni--are ideal, because that's when the horomones really begin to get released. Work is another great place to meet people, though it's a bit trickier because you have to balance work and recreation properly. You need to keep your formal attitude and remember you're in a work environment. Skating rinks, tennis clubs, and other places with two-person activities where you're matched randomly would be ideal. Avoid bars because they're usually packed with girls only interested in a one-night-stand (same goes if you're a girl, and you're looking for a guy). Some music/dance clubs are okay, but others are similar to the description of the bars. Choose carefully. Also, always remember to be yourself. If you try to be something different, you'll end up with the wrong person almost every time.