Mechanical issue, mounting sprocket to stepper

stoopkid

Joined Mar 3, 2011
I'm trying to figure out how to attach a small sprocket to a stepper motor. I would like for it to be a pretty solid connection rather than jerry rigged... I haven't worked with motors before so I wasn't sure if mine had a standard sized pin that could be interfaced easily. I've attached a simple diagram that I made of it.

I may use a sprocket I find online, or if I can't find anything I should be able to have it cut along with some other things I'm having cut, but that doesn't really solve my problem completely because I still need something that will fit snugly, hold a few pounds and stick out enough to clear the enclosure and the bolt heads fixing the stepper in place. The laser cutter I'm using will only do thin material, I assume.

Anyway, I'm looking for any sort of guidance or suggestions... Thanks

Attachments

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Here is a source for all kinds of small power transmission parts - http://www.sdp-si.com/web/html/products.htm Be aware though anything like this is going to be expensive, but this will give you an idea whats available.

You don't say what type of chain or what your doing. Some times there are other ways to get things done. Such as "timing" belts, like many printers use for moving the ink-jet heads.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Typically you get a timing gear or sprocket with a hub on it and that hub will have a set screw that tightens down against the flat side of the stepper shaft.

magudaman

Joined Feb 27, 2012
You could use your laser cutter to create a bolted together layered object.

I do some CNC work for price and could create an adapter plate of sorts possibly. That's a pretty tiny shaft though...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Typically you get a timing gear or sprocket with a hub on it and that hub will have a set screw that tightens down against the flat side of the stepper shaft.
+1
if you already got a sprocket and the sprocket doesn't have a set screw, you can drill a hole in the collar of the sprocket, thread it, and put a set screw in.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Or a drop of JB Weld, or both.

The OP didn't really define the clearance issues. How far does it need to extend past the end of the shaft? The "collar" that hugs the shaft can help place the gear teeth a ways from the shaft, but there are limits

Not exactly a circuits-related project!