question justice if you give it time. You must start with question
or subjects to get things going. I have seen robotics and other
subjects.That is the good part of not deleting old post,read some
old post i am sure you will get a starter. Expand on your post you
will get replies and opinions.That why off -topic allows so much
freedom talk about anything.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
At the risk of becoming persona non grata, I'm going suggest that this is the perfect forum to start this. I am of the firm conviction that we live in a very coherent universe, and engineering principles of electronics are 100% applicable to mechanics and vice versa. We electronics nerds need to know something about mechanics, and I believe we can offer something to mechanical engineers. To wit...our recent thread on resonant circuts and pendulums.

Just my humble opinion...

eric

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I just spent some time over at the Physics Forums link given by steveb. The questions and replies were interesting -- like the viscous damping and tortilla chip conveyor --, but I don't see how they fit in here.

The OP has not responded with specific examples. I wonder if he was thinking more of construction methods and considerations for electronic devices than of ME specifically? Right now, those questions seem to be handled in either General Electronics Chat or The Projects Forum. When such questions are raised, the threads seem to generate a lot of interest.

I can see a potential benefit in having a separate forum for them, if posters would review prior posts on the same subject before posting. That doesn't seem to happen much for whatever reasons.

On the downside, it would add one more forum to check and additional possibilities for confusion of where to post. Is the distinction between a construction forum and the current General Electronics Chat or Projects forums that clear cut? (Frankly, the distinction between the Chat and Projects forums is not that clear.)

All told, I am happy with the current forum offerings. The overlap between Chat and Projects has a slight hidden advantage in that they effectively spread a single active forum over two pages, so posts don't get buried in new posts as quickly as they would in a single forum.

John

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
In my primary job (not a carreer!!), I do a lot of electonics "engineering" (third pic, is my own Opto-22 compatible IO Modules and Rack) and plenty of Mechanical Engineering to go with it, so these 2 go side by side with me..... Here are some pics of my latest mech creations for an autonomous recycling machine (Pic 1 & 2 ).... this thing "eats" everything!!:D And I also do metal fabrication, with all sorts of materials and also I design all the metal enclosures (Last Pic is an AC Motor Trash Compactor, only kind in the world that I know of, since most are hydraulic powered... )and design the software too that controls all the automation....

Attachments

Last edited: