Measuring SNR

mahmoud shendy

Joined Dec 23, 2007
Dear everybody,
I want to measure the SNR from a DVB-S satellite, using a module that receive the signal and can be interfaced to microprocessor based system via SPI/I2C or RS232 to get the signal SNR.
what is the module can make such function?
please help me to get the right way...
best regards,
MAhmoud

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Dear Mr. Shendy
Before that tell us what you know about the things below.
1. DVB-S transmission
2. Micro processors
3. SPI interface
4. I2C bus protocol
5. RS232
and last but not the least SNR.

Then I can give you a module schematic to build one.
How's tht? :D

mahmoud shendy

Joined Dec 23, 2007
Dear,
I know that:

1. DVB-S is the commond Digital Video Broadcast that uses the frequency range: 925 - 2125MHz.

2. Micro processors: For many years I use AVR microcontroller in my control application, I build the hardware, then I write the code in C as the firmware.

3. SPI interface: The serial peripheral interface that communicate the microprocessor or the microcontroller to the peripheral by sending syncronous data with a clock in a manner of a master and slave.

4. I2C bus protocol: I interfaced many memory modules using this protocol and familiar with it.

5. RS232: a protocol of asynchronous serial communication used to interface using a speed called a Baud rate and start ,stop, data bits stream.

SNR: Signal to noise ratio, determines the quality of the signal received.

I made many designs, but this is the first time to keep in touch with reading a signal from satellite communication system use the DVB-S modulation.

best regards...

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
For DVB detection ur insight on this is limited. U need to learn about the modulation technics, and transmission ranges from a typical antenna. DVB is sometimes really troublesome to get good fix
For a start try to get ur hands on DVB-s signal finder cum strength meter