Measuring power consumption of 220v app.

higrader

Joined Apr 8, 2010
Greetings - new member - I'm a retired home owner trying to go green :)

I'm trying to figure a way to measure the power consumption of my 220v hot water heater so I can decide either to go either natural Gas or replace it with another electric unit.
I need to know the length of time it is on.
Looks like this heater switches from top element to bottom element ie: never both on at the same time. Seeing as I know what these identical elements are rated at, I can calculate instant consumption. I guess what I need is some way timing the darn thing.
Any ideas or help, without having to buy a $100.00 meter would be appreciated. - higrader

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
You don't need that measurement.

I could get 2, 120 volt, motor driven, mechanical clocks and hook them up to the elements, but I'm afraid there is some rule on this site against telling noobies to stick their fingers in live 220. So, officially, don't do that. Besides, I haven't seen a mechanical clock in years.

GE just came out with a Freon heat pump connected to a water heater. I expect this will beat both gas and electric heaters. Besides, you don't need to measure the hours to tell if gas heat is cheaper than electric heat. You need to ask how much energy is in the gas you'll use and look up the efficiency of the heaters you can get, then compare that to the price of electricity in your neighborhood. You are going to use the same amount of heat, no matter the source, so do the math, not the measurement.

higrader

Joined Apr 8, 2010
ah ha... that's my problem... both contacts on the elements are hot with one side of the 220v.

And yes the math and NGas is 1/3 cheaper now 50% at last years gas prices... but I have to consider installation costs of a gas unit, and most importantly, the monthly rental cost of a hi-eff gas tank nearly $22/mo more than electric.

My solution is here http://www.ekmmetering.com/EKM_Metering/Basic_Pass-through_Meter_240V.html

but in Cnd it's a lot more money Im sure.

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
Your solution is still moot. Swell meter, but you don't need it. Freon pumps easily have tripple the efficiency of "straight" electric heat and they don't need a fuel storage tank.

If you want hot water, you have the answer. If you want to discuss it, somebody else will answer you soon.