Meaning of power in hot air guns

psoke0

Joined Mar 31, 2017
hi guys. i have hot air station cheap one. im seeing videos that similar hot air station is weaker then the quick 862 for example. and they say that the wattage of the quick is more then this one. what does that mean ? if my station give 450 Degree C and quick gives the same heat what is the role of the current and voltage here ? how wattage effects it to be more powerfull at melting solder while both give the same heat ? thank you.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Temperature is how hot. In your case 450C.
Heat (watts) is energy.
A higher watts heater will get to temperature faster, and it could heat a larger object faster.
A higher watts heater can heat more air. (the air flow can be faster)
------
Think about Coffee or Tea heater. A low power one might take 1 minute to make a cup while a high power heat will make two cups in the same time. Once the water is hot both heater will back down to a very low power mode to keep the water hot.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
hi guys. i have hot air station cheap one. im seeing videos that similar hot air station is weaker then the quick 862 for example. and they say that the wattage of the quick is more then this one. what does that mean ? if my station give 450 Degree C and quick gives the same heat what is the role of the current and voltage here ? how wattage effects it to be more powerfull at melting solder while both give the same heat ? thank you.
The volume of air the station can produce at a given temperature will be larger if the heater has more capacity, measured in W.

psoke0

Joined Mar 31, 2017
The volume of air the station can produce at a given temperature will be larger if the heater has more capacity, measured in W.
so basicly more air flow means we need higher wattage heater for it to produce 450 C with that much air flow and in that case its more powerfull and able to heat bigger components

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
so basicly more air flow means we need higher wattage heater for it to produce 450 C with that much air flow and in that case its more powerfull and able to heat bigger components
That's about the sum of it. You need more power to heat more air. You need more air to heat more mass.