MC60 Motor Controller

Guitarnut

Joined Apr 25, 2012
Hello all. This is my first post here. I did a search and checked the suggested threads on this controller but none of them have the info I'm looking for.

I have an MC60 controller, choke and motor that were salvaged from a ProForm treadmill. I would like to use them for a feed system on a drum sander that I'm building. I don't have any other components from the machine.

My question is, how would I configure the components to be a variable speed setup?

In this diagram from the lower cowling, it shows the line voltage going thru a breaker, to the harness for the control panel and looping back to a thermal switch in the motor, then to a terminal on the controller where it's connected beside the neutral.

Can I run the line voltage straight from a breaker or fuse to the thermal switch? I don't have any of the components from the panel.

Since I don't have the control panel, can I use a linear pot as a control? If so, which of the three terminals on the right side of the controller would I connect it to?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mark

Guitarnut

Joined Apr 25, 2012
Well, I just realized that the H, W and L on the control pot terminals probably stand for high, wiper and low. If so, I'm good on that question. Just need to confirm the line voltage connection question.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Can I run the line voltage straight from a breaker or fuse to the thermal switch?
The diagram suggests that you could. That "wire harness" thing is probably a dead-man switch. If the runner pulls out the key, it breaks the circuit just as if the breaker or thermal switch blew.
...can I use a linear pot as a control?
Maybe, but I'd do some testing of resistors without the motor attached and never with less than, say, 500Ω between those 3 input poles. Until I became more comfortable I knew what I was doing, I'd be concerned about the pot going to a short at one end of its rotation. As confidence builds, you could try hooking the motor back up.

Guitarnut

Joined Apr 25, 2012
I just revisited on of the threads and found a link to a PDF that outlines the connections and voltages. The same thread has a voltage chart for the controller as well.

The answer to my question appears to be yes. I can run 120VAC either thru the thermal switch or directly to the controller.

From the PDF:

MC60 Controller Voltages
Seven spade connectors are used to connect the controller to the rest of the treadmill. They are described below:
AC1- BLUE wire. 120 VAC High from the power cord or power board.
AC2- WHITE wire. 120 VAC Neutral from the power cord or power supply
A+ RED wire. 0-120 VDC to the motor. Voltage level depends on the current speed setting.
A- BLACK wire. Ground wire for the motor and motor choke.
H- RED wire. High supply voltage for the speed control signal of 12 VDC.
W- WHITE wire. Wiper on potentiometer. 0 -12 VDC depending on the current speed setting.
L- BLACK wire. Low potentiometer. Ground wire for speed control voltage.

Post with PDF link

Sorry for the nuisance thread. Maybe someone will find it useful down the line.

Guitarnut

Joined Apr 25, 2012
The diagram suggests that you could. That "wire harness" thing is probably a dead-man switch. If the runner pulls out the key, it breaks the circuit just as if the breaker or thermal switch blew.
Maybe, but I'd do some testing of resistors without the motor attached and never with less than, say, 500Ω between those 3 input poles. Until I became more comfortable I knew what I was doing, I'd be concerned about the pot going to a short at one end of its rotation. As confidence builds, you could try hooking the motor back up.
Hi wayneh. I guess you were posting while I was typing my last post. Thanks for the followup and recommendations.

I've seen other posts that state 5K as a common value on these controllers. I'll start there...plenty high by your account.

Thanks again!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yes, you bet. Data is your friend. Take your time, be methodical, write it down. You won't regret it. Use the meter before you make any live-power changes, to test any assumptions you might be making. If you release the magic smoke from your board, the project gets a lot more difficult.

Guitarnut

Joined Apr 25, 2012
Yes, you bet. Data is your friend. Take your time, be methodical, write it down. You won't regret it. Use the meter before you make any live-power changes, to test any assumptions you might be making. If you release the magic smoke from your board, the project gets a lot more difficult.
Excellent. Thanks again for the info.

I have a 250K pot on hand...any harm starting that high? Don't want to release any magic smoke. ;)