Max. Collector Current Active BJT (Quick/Simple)

jegues

Joined Sep 13, 2010
In this example they say that the maximum current the collector can support while the transistor remains in active mode is approximately 0.5mA.

Where does this come from? Why is it specifically 0.5mA? Can I assume this for all the BJT's I'm working with?

Thanks again!

Attachments

Last edited:

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
In this example they say that the maximum current the collector can support while the transistor remains in active mode is approximately 0.5mA.

Where does this come from? Can I assume this for all the BJT's I'm working with?

Thanks again!
Look at this simply example:

The max collector current occur when Vce = Vce(sat)
Ic_max≈ Vcc/Rc
If Ib = 50uA then Ic = 5mA and Vce = 5V; VRc=5V
Ib = 60uA ---> Ic = 6mA---> Vce = 4V---> VRc = 6V

But if Ib = 110uA then Ic = β*Ib = 1.1mA and Vce = -1V ?? and VRc =11V ??
Of course Ohms law and kirchhoff law must hold, so this situation is impossible.
BJT is full open and it is in saturation mode, Ic = β *Ib dont hold anymore.
But if we change Rc to 500Ω then for
Ib= 11uA --->Ic = 11mA ---> Vce = 4.5V---> VRc=5.5V
And saturation occurred when Ib > (Vcc/Rc) / β = 20mA /100 = 200uA

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Don't add another circuit, look at the circuit that was questioned:
1) Its collector resistor is 10k and just before the transistor saturates its collector resistor has a max current of 5V/10k= 0.5mA.
2) When it is saturated the collector voltage will be about +0.6V so the 10k collector resistor will have 5.6V across it.
3) Then the max collector current in this circuit is 5.6V/10k= 0.56mA.

The 10k resistor and the voltages in the circuit limit the active current to only 0.5mA, not the transistor.

jegues

Joined Sep 13, 2010
Don't add another circuit, look at the circuit that was questioned:
1) Its collector resistor is 10k and just before the transistor saturates its collector resistor has a max current of 5V/10k= 0.5mA.
2) When it is saturated the collector voltage will be about +0.6V so the 10k collector resistor will have 5.6V across it.
3) Then the max collector current in this circuit is 5.6V/10k= 0.56mA.

The 10k resistor and the voltages in the circuit limit the active current to only 0.5mA, not the transistor.
Very clear and to the point.

Thanks again!