masters degree

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by scordova, Feb 26, 2009.

  1. scordova

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jan 10, 2009
    what is the difference between an MS and an MSE?
  2. jpanhalt


    Jan 18, 2008
    I suspect it is the same as the difference between a BA(or AB or BS), and a BSE degree.

    Schools of engineering have engineering faculty and schools of arts and sciences have arts and sciences faculty. The two faculty are separate and have separate degree requirements, even at the same university. Engineering in theory stresses applied sciences and math; arts and sciences stresses pure science and math and philosophy. For example, courses on history of civilization or quantum chemistry would be in the school of A&S; a course on structural analysis would be in the school of engineering. Subjects like analytical chemistry, surface analysis, etc. bridge both schools.

    The engineering faculty can still require liberal arts courses, but the general perception is that the emphasis on liberal arts is less for engineering degrees. That said, some schools of A&S require almost no liberal arts classes for graduation with a BA (orAB) as opposed to BS degrees. In fact, the distinction between the A&S degrees is extremely blurred.

    In sum, the difference between a BS and BSE or MS and MSE is related to which school one attends and the graduation requirements set by the respective faculty.

  3. ntr_nbk

    New Member

    Feb 21, 2009
    both are same technically.....but when it comes to standard.....wise M.S is more powerfull and MSC is waste. msc is only to develop urs skills professionally......m.s is for learning and improving skills
  4. jamers


    Jan 24, 2008
    MS - Masters of Science, given by the science faculty, not normally offered to engineering I beleive.

    MSE -Masters of Science in Engineering, given by the engineering faculty as the engineering "theory" degree. The degree you would get as an engineer if you wanted to get a PHD.

    ME- Masters of Engineering. given by the engineering faculty as the engineering "practical" degree. The degree to advance you as a professional, without being able to advance further to a phd. (perhaps you can in rare cases)