Masseur breaks client's leg, still demands fee

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That's what they teach in business school nowadays.
It doesn't matter whether you're playing the stock market with pension funds or breaking legs upstairs from a Thai restaurant, you deserve to get paid for your time and effort.:cool:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
When I was having a hernia repair, the surgeon gave me three pretty severe burns on my thigh; presumably from the cauterizing tool according to my OD who was also a surgeon.

He never mentioned them and I didn't notice until after I was off pain meds. I was wondering why in the heck my thigh hurt...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was wondering why in the heck my thigh hurt...
That's a small complaint. Your skin hurt and it healed in a couple of weeks. I was in that rig in post number one and I wondered why the doctor never set the fracture. Now my left thigh is an inch short, angled to the rear by 30 degrees, and the bones required 13 months in a cast, when the, "book" answer is a maximum of 13 weeks to grow back together.

Before you ask, that happened in Hoag Memorial Hospital in Orange County California. The hospital John Wayne used. So no, it wasn't upstairs from a Thai restaurant. It has been 41 years since that happened, and I'm still waiting for the doctor to, "set it after the skin heals".

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
That's a small complaint. Your skin hurt and it healed in a couple of weeks.
The burns were deep. Took longer than a few weeks to heal and it looks like I'll have scars for life.

At least you're set with a malpractice suit. Mine doesn't approach that level of gross incompetence.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
At least you're set with a malpractice suit.
Umm...nope. I tried that. According to Doctor and Lawyer rules, if I grew the bone back together, no matter how crooked or deformed, or how long it took, the doctor who got paid for not setting the fracture provided the, "Standard of Care" required by Medical Professional Licensing.:confused: Kind of resembles my divorce Lawyer. He didn't know what my "cause of action" was, gave the ex-to-be everything she asked for, then told me, "The hearing is over. You may now enter the court room.":eek:

WTF? It's Res Juris and you haven't asked me why I hired you???

That's when I discovered that when you pay a lawyer to work for you, he still isn't working for you. He's still working for himself.:(

Last edited:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
The burns were deep. Took longer than a few weeks to heal and it looks like I'll have scars for life.

At least you're set with a malpractice suit. Mine doesn't approach that level of gross incompetence.
What did the burn look like? If you were treated for hernia, a burn to your thigh would be gross incompetence - for example activating surgical pencil while it was rested on your thigh, that would cause a burn in area that was not meant to be cut. I would be having a serious discussion with that hospital as to what they were doing...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What did the burn look like?
Third/fourth degree burn; through all layers of skin and into muscle. After my pain meds ran out, the burns hurt more than the incision or the mesh attachments.

The largest was about 1/2" diameter and was about 10" from the incision site. It has shrunk to 1/4" (after 4 years) and there's still a depression. One healed without leaving a scar and the other scar is 1/8" diameter.

My OD said the surgeon probably stepped on the peddle (several times) by mistake while the tool was laying on my thigh.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Third/fourth degree burn; through all layers of skin and into muscle. After my pain meds ran out, the burns hurt more than the incision or the mesh attachments.

The largest was about 1/2" diameter and was about 10" from the incision site. It has shrunk to 1/4" (after 4 years) and there's still a depression. One healed without leaving a scar and the other scar is 1/8" diameter.

My OD said the surgeon probably stepped on the peddle (several times) by mistake while the tool was laying on my thigh.

Yes, that was exactly what I thought. I service these devices and know exactly the damage they can do. What happened is the definition of gross negligence. Also, in most instances, to prevent exactly this from happening, the pensil used during the procedure would be hand activated. It could be foot activated, but most surgeons move away from those. I am very sorry for the damage that was done. This is severe level of incompetence. A doctor like this could damage internal organs leaving a patient with severe issues, just think of a laparascopic procedure gone wrong because of his carelessness. Unbelievable.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

Seems to me you have a major case for a lawsuit. I can't imagine why the surgeon would be laying any instrument on the patient.