Marshall guitar amp schematic

imperatormk

Joined Mar 1, 2011
Hi. Can anybody suggest me a good PCB schematic of a DIY Marshall guitar amp? Please let me know if you need more details.

Thanks!!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Marshall didn't make do-it-yourself guitar amps. A pcb is different from a schematic.
I can't post the dozens of schematics I have, on this site.

imperatormk

Joined Mar 1, 2011
Marshall didn't make do-it-yourself guitar amps. A pcb is different from a schematic.
I can't post the dozens of schematics I have, on this site.
Maybe you could upload them on some 3rd party site and link them here?

Hello,

You could have a look at the site of schematic heaven.
Unfortunately the site stopped, but was captured by the web archive:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090228202355/http://schematicheaven.com/index_HTML.htm

Bertus
I found Marshall amp schematics, but I wonder how would I make a PCB from them? It seems impossible to draw on the board manually and make it correct...

Any suggestions appreciated!!

square wave

Joined Apr 25, 2013
There's a free version of Eagle that's commonly used for DIY PCB creation. Once you've got the gerber files generated, you can send them to a fab company or try and etch one yourself with a transfer. I've never done my own PCB work but there's a lot of guides around the internet if you take a look.

imperatormk

Joined Mar 1, 2011
I have done some PCBs using Eagle already. But this schematic is complicated far more than I can imagine drawing manually. Maybe someone can give me some finished PCB layouts?

imperatormk

Joined Mar 1, 2011
I have not started to build anything yet, and I don't know what exact model to build. It needs to output ~45w max.

Last edited:

imperatormk

Joined Mar 1, 2011
Okay, I managed to find a good Marshall amp schematic (in attachments). But I need advice how to make a PCB layout out of it. I can't imagine drawing everything manually in Eagle, and I don't have a better idea.

Thanks!

Attachments

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Well, hold on to your hat. ;)

Not sure if you realize this but the 6100 schematic you posted is just the power amp section. You will also need to construct a quite complicated pre-amp circuit for a complete guitar amp.

This amp is in the 100 watt range, (you had mentioned wanting 45 watts).

Have you built advanced projects like this from scratch before?

Must point this out: And do you understand that these are VERY dangerous and possibly lethal high voltage circuits. ???

imperatormk

Joined Mar 1, 2011
Okay, making the Marshall schematic I posted is too big bite for me, so I'll just start by something more simple.

But I need a little help. I found two schematics using one opamp, one of them is standard amp and the other one offers distortion effect. But I am not sure if that second one is to be used as-is (it's input goes to the guitar, it's output to the speaker) or it needs to be connected in cascade to the first one to work properly (it's input to the other one's output).

http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html - the *standard* amp
http://www.runoffgroove.com/grace.html - distortion schematic

Thanks!

imperatormk

Joined Mar 1, 2011
The idea was to start with something simple. The link you posted has only one 100W amp under the 'Musical instruments' section. What I am not sure about is can I use a power amp as a guitar amp in some way? (might be totally wrong about this!) Thanks!

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Yes, a 'typical' power amp can be used to make a guitar amp.

What's required is a preamp designed for guitar. This preamp converts the high impedance low level signal from a guitar into a line level signal to drive the power amp. The preamp can include various overdrive and tone control circuits

You could start by building a guitar preamp circuit and connect it to a ready made power amp or make a simple power amp using one of the many power amp chips available. This preamp could use vacuum tubes and/or solid state components.

There are many choices. I'll post some ideas, just out of time now. Check back later !!