Marriage - rings

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
I've decided to get married. Why two rings? Do I give the engagement ring to her anytime, and the marriage ring to her at the ceremony? After that, does she just toss out the engagement ring?!?! Or does it sit in a drawer wasted? Which is more expensive? Which come in sets for groom and bride?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Never did buy my future wife an engagement ring. I'm too cheap.
We got a pair a wedding bands. I never wear mine. Not good around electricity.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I think she's supposed to put the engagment ring on another finger? Not sure though. I'm pretty scared of marriage. If she's modern she'll probably agree to trade in the engagement rings in for wedding rings, or if you can afford it, get both. Lots of people are lucky enough to inherit one of the two.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
She's from another country that I frequent. I need to at least somewhat appease their customs, which include bringing a ring and asking her parents. But I'm confused on the 2 ring thing, which I'll do American style.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Never did buy my future wife an engagement ring. I'm too cheap.
We got a pair a wedding bands. I never wear mine. Not good around electricity.
First wife I paid $3,000 back in the day with one minor flaw in it. Today's value around $7,000 or $8,000.

I asked why I had to pay so much? they said, it's cataloged with the flaw and will alway's prove it as a real Diamond. After we split, her drunken brother got mad and flushed it.

My Current wife, I gave a simple Diamond. She lost it in the drain, doing dishes.

Now, she's wearing a Gold Band, doesn't want a Diamond.

"Never Again"

My Wife is the Gem, she would have accepted a secret decoder ring;)

Many wear both the wedding band and engagement ring after the wedding. Same finger with the wedding band on first. Traditionally, here in US, the engagement ring is the diamond ring with the wedding band being a more simple ring. However, it can be done any way you would like to do it. Jewelry store will accommodate any conbination of things they can sell you, I mean, anything you want.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I wouldn't get a diamond either because their actually worthless. Their not rare at all. Debeers just controls the market and buys all diamonds released so they can control the flow. Like they do with oil. Then debeers takes the number of US engagements from the previous year (2012) and puts that into a formula that then tells them how many diamonds to release onto the market so its not saturated. If you want to get her something of value look a natural colored diamonds, emeralds, and other gem stones. But the fact the diamonds are rare is one of the biggest hoaxes their is.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
First off - congrats!

My brother use to work at a pawn shop and had (literally) bags of diamonds lying around his office. He'd always tell me that diamonds were usually not worth the time if they were under 1/2 carat. They took diamonds out of the rings and melted the gold down into bars. Needless to say - if you're a pawn shop owner, you WILL be a millionaire, and you need employees you can trust, like my brother.

Another note: don't expect your future wife to be the first woman to wear that diamond or gold. They don't mine new diamonds for every marriage.

If I had to do it again I would be looking at lab produced diamonds. They are ultra-pure and cheaper than their natural formed cousins. Hell, I might just buy one at a pawn shop too... more bang for your buck.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
That brings up a good point. Many old vintage heirloom diamond or even rings with no stones are really nice. Our engagement ring has been passed down 5 generations. Unfortunetally I'm too scared to commit so my bro got it. But don't pass up looking at auctions, high end estate sales, pawn shops (You can steal the store, or leave without your firstborn, just depends on the shop) But look into buying the ring then putting a custom stone in it. I know its not traditional but I always figured I go with an emerald or a high dollar opal. Or if she was cool a polished meteor with matching braclet and necklace. That way it would end up being more then a gem stone, she wouldn't be subject to robbery, The ring would be cheaper then normal but the rest would certainly make up for it expecially mixed with other high end gem stones.