MandM

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Motor Manipulator. MANDM

This was a work related project so I can't give all the hardware details but the system software is GPL'd and it's been uploaded to github along with some pictures and videos of the prototypes that were built and operational tuning of the controller.

My task was to build a controller using a PIC18 that emulates the motor controllers in some old equipment. These older controllers don't use modern DC motor PWM or H-bridge controllers but have relays and resistors to control movement. For MANDM to also to be a high fidelity control unit it had to use the same methods of control so a technician rebuilding a part could watch it move in the same way as when installed in a machine.

The controller handles 3-axis motor control via a system of 8 DPDT relays and slowing resistors for 24 or 5 volt DC motor drive with analog 10 turn pot voltage or digital encoder 500 counts per turn position feedback.

The user interface is a 4*20 LCD with several status leds. User input is from several front panel push-buttons with two optical rotary encode dials to select menu options and to control motors in either free movement or tracking modes. Data-logging is done via a RS-232 port that also provide and command interface for detailed motor controller information.

The RS-232 port also handles the main controller commands, that software module is not included. :(

Software:
https://github.com/nsaspook/mandm.git

Images and videos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nsaspook/sets/72157630632759744/with/8073729225/

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just from what you've said, I'm not sure you can meet the requirements for the Completed Project collection. The main issue is local documentation

Any chance you can stick a generic motor on this sucker? People are always needing a motor controller, the 3D printer thread comes to mind.

And now for the boilerplate:

Please read the rules of the Completed Projects forum.

When posting a project please include the following information:

1. A clear title that describes the project appended by the word 'Project:', for example "Project: 555 Audio Oscillator".
  2. A list of parts, equipment, software used.
  3. Details of any theory, references or information that may be applicable.
  4. Any schematics, source code, etc.
  5. A short description of what to do.
  6. In the interests of manageability and security, project files/code/schematics must be locally stored. Links may be used to provide supplementary information, however they must not provide the substance of the project.
This project has sat in limbo basically because it didn't meet the above requirements. If you want to resubmit this entry please rework the entry to meet the requirements, then drop one of the moderators a PM pointing to it. If it is acceptable a moderator can move it back to the Completed Projects forum and clean up notices and suggestions (making them invisible).

All documents must be hosted locally. AAC allows for attachments and albums, use them. You Tube video links allowed, but they in no way constitute proper documentation.

As usual this post will self destruct if the requirements are met.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I can't really make all the requirements so putting it in the "Completed Project collection" was a mistake on my part so I put it inEmbedded Systems and Microcontrollers instead a few days ago.

You can delete this thread is you like. :D

Any chance you can stick a generic motor on this sucker? People are always needing a motor controller, the 3D printer thread comes to mind.
You could but the motor adjustment requirements for this device are pretty different for a printer. Focus, tuning and aiming direction for high energy ION beams producing high levels of EMI and RF based transients that would eat a generic motor driver for lunch..

The source code could be a good example for someone writing motion control code for something built in this century but I think a normal PWM chip based controller would be better.

This is an example of the type of machine my controller would be used in.

Attachments