Making your own phone ring?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am a comcast customer and I was wondering if anybody knows how to make their phone ring?

I have VOIP.

Is their a particular three digit number that you have to dial and then hang the phone up or something.

Anybody know how?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
I know nothing about Comcast; but a regular telephone can be made to ring applying 110V AC -60 Hz for a second or two if on-hook and connected to nothing else. An isolation transformer could be better, but if not, caution as you may get shocked.

If the handset is lifted, the telephone will fry instantly.

Telephone companies seem that have deleted their ringback number once used by their field technicians to test ringers, but you can call your service provider technical support and ask for it. Perhaps they have one.

-----------------------------------------/\/\/\/\/\/--------------------------------Tel
110VAC
60Hz
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tel

/\/\/\/\/ = 10 K Ohm for about 1 REN

Miguel

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
yeah , I am kind of more looking for a ringback number or something.

I don't want to do the 110volt ac thing.

They must have something. Or else what happens if the phone line gets cut they still have to have a ringback on hand for each phone just in cases.:confused:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
And a good thing, I have heard worse advise, but not often! This is dangerous, and you are definately overvolting the phone. 60V P-P would do it, I think 90V is the max rating. Last I heard it was at 20Hz too.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I've not tried this in a few years, but we used to be able to dial our own number and hang up fast. The phone would ring about 4-5 times, than qiut.
Give it a try, it's free.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
It used to be that when you dialled your own number, you'd get a busy signal, then when you hung up, you would get a ring-back.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
And a good thing, I have heard worse advise, but not often! This is dangerous, and you are definately overvolting the phone. 60V P-P would do it, I think 90V is the max rating. Last I heard it was at 20Hz too.
What's more if you happen to fry some poor technician who is working on the line when you do this you could be be charged with murder.

Connecting the phone line to the mains is illegal in most countries.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Comcast in my area said they don't provide this service yet.
They use to with comcast digital voice previously but not any more apparently.

Previously you had to dial a 3 digit code that depended on your area code and then hang up the phone.

Thanks for the reply's though.

The service rep said they will probably have this service again someday.

By

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Comcast in my area said they don't provide this service yet.
They use to with comcast digital voice previously but not any more apparently.

Previously you had to dial a 3 digit code that depended on your area code and then hang up the phone.

Thanks for the reply's though.

The service rep said they will probably have this service again someday.

By the ringing is 90 volt ac at 20hz I saw alot of previous posts say 110 or something.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Which is what we were talking about. 110VAC is a VERY bad idea. 90V is the absolute max, and it is supposed to be 20 Hz. You may be able to get your phone to ring with very low voltage, if you are willing to try an experiment. I suspect the 20Hz is more important nowdays. The old system used a double bell arangement, where the clapper went between them, and was resonant to 20Hz. Something similar to what a lot of alarm bells use.

I wonder if a 555 20Hz square wave oscillator would work, I suspect it would.

For the record, he wasn't talking about connecting AC to the phone line, but to the phone, which is totally different.

Zenock

Joined Jun 1, 2009
I have VOIP.
How is you PHONE connected to your network? Which device do you use? Do you have access to it. Depending on the device, you may be able to log into it and instruct it to make your phone ring.

Z