making portable win7 (srv08) vmware issue

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i'm trying to make a portable windows server install. because internal drive size, test setup. I want this to be a usb boot just do off bios.
I found info on doing this for win7 server nearly same os so should work.
I downloaded VMware workstation trial version.
I did all the steps up to starting the VM. all worked with no issue. I saw is said make sure usb is attached to the VMware program. I looked up how to do that and tried, but is grayed out. I even added the usb controller back. I tried a thumb drive also thinking maybe windows saw the external hard disk as fixed, but no difference. the vm is off, and when try to start fails because drive is not attached.

link to article:
http://ftanada.wordpress.com/2009/02/15/install-windows-7-on-a-usb-stickflash-drive/

I goggled the issue few people have, but most are because host is pulling before VMware. I even ejected them in host os and still same issue. nobody seems to know what the reason it is grayed out is. thought maybe somebody here has dealt with VMware before and know a bit more since this is my first time with anything VMware.

if anybody can think of a better way to make bootable windows install I can try that's fine also. this is my preferred method, but can clean off my C: and do dual boot if nothing else. want to try hyper-v which only runs on bare metal so no way to do in vpc or virtual box.

thanks

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
Has the drive been formatted with FAT32? Most USB drives are formatted with FAT. I believe that windows needs the larger sector size.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
According to Peter Winchester in the messages on the website:

Hi Guys, I figured out, since windows 7 doesn’t allow RAW Disk access for all users, disable the USB drive from being accessed by windows….
Here’s How…
1. Start Menu
2. CMD
3. Run As Adminstrator
Once the Command Prompt
Type:
1. Diskpart
2. list volume
3. lookup the USB letter, You’ll see something like ” C, D, E, ….etc”
4. If for example “E” is Your USB drive letter, type ” Select volume x ” where x is the number of volume that corresponds to that Volume letter on the very far left of the table shown.
5. type: remove letter x
6. Now your windows No longer reads the USB disk as a drive.
7. It’s now accessible through VMware Worksation, 6.5.x
Enjoy and have fun.
You guys will run into a couple of issues that I found a fix for.
1. After plugging the USB into a new computer, after everything has supposedly went over well, and after the driver installation has finished. Don’t Restart
DO NOT RESTART YET.
THE REGISTRY HAS BEEN CHANGED….
GO CHANGE IT BACK TO THE VALUES NOTED BEFORE.
2. SECONDLY, THIS PROCEDURE WILL ENABLE TO BOOT WINDOWS UNDER JUST SATA:IDE MODE, BUT NOT SATA:AHCI ….. SOLVED, JUST TEXT ME, AND I’LL TELL YOU WHAT TO DO….. ALSO SOLVED UNDER 50 SECONDS.
ENJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY
PETER WINCHESTER

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I kind of looked at those before, but didn't recall issue like this mentioned. meant to do after posted here see if there was anything. I know what there talking about, but I don't think is the issue i'm having. seems related to VMware itself. I have tried ejecting them from the host OS and works, but don't change the issue in VMware. that is basically what there doing there. VMware didn't require reboot when installed so that could be issue also. try reboot see what happens. other virtualization products I've used don't require either so felt be fine just start working with it. try restart see what happens. I'll also try what there talking about, but be surprised if different from ejecting.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I looked at a bunch of those. thinking issue may relate to host OS. many said that win7 was causing issues when used as host OS. so probably going to try on XP. realized also simple to make comment on there so I asked about there too.