Making LAN cable

whale

Joined Dec 21, 2008
I WANT TO SPLIT MY INTERNET LAN CONECTION IN TWO PARALLEL LINE.
THE LINE LENGTH I NEED IS VERY LONG ABOUT 30 METERS.
SO, I HAVE NO IDEA OF BUYING LAN CABLE ON CONSEDIRATION OF IT'S PRICE AND PUBLIC EXPOSURE.
CAN I MAKE LAN CABLE OF MY OWN WITH ORDINARY COPPER WIRES.
PLEASE GIVE ME IDEA"""""""""""""""""""":confused:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
LAN Cable is a bit vague. If you mean something like CAT5 for Ethernet you can buy the connectors and the cable and a crimping tool. I don't think it would be practical to buy the wire, fabricate four twisted pairs with the correct number of twists per inch and then try to crimp the connectors onto the ends, but you're welcome to try.

What kind of resources do you have available to you in Chennai?

whale

Joined Dec 21, 2008
is there standard twist per inch,i just thought of constructing parallel wires.can
give me details of construction of lan cable?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
is there standard twist per inch,i just thought of constructing parallel wires.can
give me details of construction of lan cable?
The term "LAN Cable" is to vague too infer what you have in mind. If you mean CAT5 for Ethernet then yes there are some standard parameters. I don't know what they are off the top of my head so before spending any more time on this, can you be more precise about what you have in mind.

You might find the following references helpful
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA_568A

As an additional note, I think it is unlikely that you will be able to duplicate this level of performance with a spool of wire from a random source.

Last edited:

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Cat 5 LAN cable is 4 pair cable, each pair has a variable twist rate over the length of the cable and then the pairs are themselves twisted together with a variable rate of twist. The rates of twist of individual pairs are designed to give the cable characteristics specified for the CAT5 standard. There is no way you could make working cable by hand.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I agree with AlexR, except you might be able to get something to work over short distances and low data rates. Modern manufacturing techniques make do-it-yourself cable building a nearly pointless exercise unless you have time, patience, and nothing better to do on your side. Remember the OP lives in India, and we in the west have no idea what local imperatives he may be experiencing.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Alex is right you should leave the factory to make 'proper' cable. Why try to replicate standard data cable?

30 metres is not really very long, certainly the many powerline solutions will work well over this distance.
Standard UTP data LAN cables are certified to work over 100m with pluggable connections, more with hard wired.
UTP = unshielded twisted pair(s)

What will be more difficult would be making satisfactory terminations/connections.

If whale would give more details here about what he proposes????????????