Making digital potentiometer

jakovn

Joined Jul 12, 2009
I m trying to control 3V, 40mA laser brightess digitaly but not with PWM
When I use analog potentiometer I get the whole rangle with 0-40 ohm resistance
Is there a digital pot that fits requirements or something simple I could make. 16 steps is enough

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You could use some fets that switch some resistors.
The resistor values could be 40, 20, 10 and 5 Ohms.
When all resistors are parallel the value will be 2.66 Ohms.
When only the fet of the 40 Ohms is switched on the resistance will be about 40 Ohms.

Greetings,
Bertus

millwood

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I doubt that you will be able to find a digital pot capable of that kind of current. and low resistance digital pots are quite rare too.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here is an example of a high-current "digital" pot:

The original is from the National datasheet for the LM317. I am suggesting this as a concrete example of the approach suggested above by bertus, which could be adapted to mosfets.

John

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Here is an example of a high-current "digital" pot:

The original is from the National datasheet for the LM317. I am suggesting this as a concrete example of the approach suggested above by bertus, which could be adapted to mosfets.

John
In your schematic example, do you simply connect the LED's to the different transistor outputs? The resistor values connected to each collector will vary the current to each output, correct? So I could have a rotary switch connected to an LED to vary the current. This doesn't seem digital at all...

gotumal

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You can make use of PWM to vary the intensity continuously. Apply PWM through a suitable RC to gate of a FET. That way you can control the ID and hence the intensity of LED.

millwood

Joined Dec 31, 1969
You can make use of PWM to vary the intensity continuously. Apply PWM through a suitable RC to gate of a FET. That way you can control the ID and hence the intensity of LED.
no reason to convert the pwm back to an analog voltage through a rc network. just apply it direct to the gate so the fet stays cool.

gotumal

Joined Mar 24, 2008
no reason to convert the pwm back to an analog voltage through a rc network. just apply it direct to the gate so the fet stays cool.
Well, it depends on application. In photometric application it would not matter since persistance of visions doesn't perceive the ON-OFF operation of LED but the average current through it.

While in radiometric application where the constant intensity matters for few tens of microseconds, you need a very high frequency PWM. Instead, RC does this job of averaging.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
In your schematic example, do you simply connect the LED's to the different transistor outputs? The resistor values connected to each collector will vary the current to each output, correct? So I could have a rotary switch connected to an LED to vary the current. This doesn't seem digital at all...
While trying to refine the term, "digital," I stumbled on this ap. note from Analog Devices:

It seems to be right on point for the subject of this thread.

John