Making an Electronic Calendar with Multi-Month Countdown Timer

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
Hey guys.
I'm gonna be making another present for my girlfriend and have decided to make a calendar with a built in countdown timer to our anniversary. I posted this before in the arduino forums, as that's what I thought would be a good place to go in this situation, but that was only for the timer part, and the thread died a couple days ago. Over there, they suggested I used a "DS3107" for the timer bit, and recommended a 2-pin LCD for the screen. That's as far as I got there
For the calendar, I'd like it to be visually appealing, and preferably in color. She seems to really like the new iOS 7 interface, so maybe something like that? I wouldn't be able to make the interface, since I don't have any experience in that, so if that's too complicated, tell me, I'm open to other suggestions

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Get a Microchip LCD / TFT board. They are a bit expensive but the PCB is all ready made and it will include software.

You can find it at their website.

I want to release a small PCB with color TFT for low cost some day but it is not available now (except some prototypes). It is not so difficult but includes some aspects of small components handling.

http://photozou.jp/photo/show/292296/192867828

I am anxious for your feedback because I really want to release this circuit as factory made PCB (smaller as seen in the photo, basically under the TFT).

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
Get a Microchip LCD / TFT board. They are a bit expensive but the PCB is all ready made and it will include software.

You can find it at their website.

I want to release a small PCB with color TFT for low cost some day but it is not available now (except some prototypes). It is not so difficult but includes some aspects of small components handling.

http://photozou.jp/photo/show/292296/192867828

I am anxious for your feedback because I really want to release this circuit as factory made PCB (smaller as seen in the photo, basically under the TFT).
No offense, but I'd rather not get it from some sketchy Asian website

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Then get the Microchip board.

It is just a photo website, I uploaded it there. It's better than flickr.

There are also some ready made TFT modules on ebay.

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
Then get the Microchip board.

It is just a photo website, I uploaded it there. It's better than flickr.

There are also some ready made TFT modules on ebay.
Ah, alright. Sorry about that! Does that only display time and date? Because I was thinking of making something that actually looked like a calendar, with week rows and days.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
And uploading them to AAC is better than any photo website.
yes maybe for privacy. I wasn't sure if OP wants the picture in the thread.

No, it is not programmed as calendar.

This is the firmware it needs programmed and flashed with a flashwriter.

DS1307 I2C technology

You need lithium battery + charger circuit.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
The DS1307 is the timer piece isn't it? So what are you saying about the firmware?
This is something you have to write. Boards in the 50 to 100 dollar range normally have some demos included.

My circuit costs less than 20 dollars but as said, this would include handling of small components.

Firmware is a piece of software matching together various components for instance the TFT, and the microcontroller.

If you buy the microchip board I think it will do something straight out of the box, but for the boards on ebay, I don't know. not neccessarily.