Making a wireless switch

stoopkid

Joined Mar 3, 2011
What would go in to making one's own very basic HIGH/LOW wireless(radio) switch? Could it be done for cheaper than tearing apart a $10 wireless doorbell or something like that? What exactly would need to go into the most basic form of this idea?

Thanks.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
You could make a wireless switch with an IR receiver, a transistor, and a few other components. Then you could use a junk remote control to make it switch. That's about as cheap a way as I can think of.

stoopkid

Joined Mar 3, 2011
That would be the cheapest but I meant specifically radio switching so that I can do out of line of sight stuff.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I've seen numerous builds from a wireless doorbell, that would appear to be the cheapest.

Unless, of course, you buy a bunch of those 433MHz, el-cheapo Tx/Rx pairs and a microcontroller to utilize them, but that's just a bunch of work;)

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Just in case you dont like to program a PIC. There are encoders and decoders specially designed to encode and decode the RF 315/433 Mhz modules. They are PT2262 and PT2272 chips. The datasheets of these chip will tell you how to hook them up. The completed products are also available..

http://www.escol.com.my/Sensors.html

There are also simple kits that would operate a relay when the transmitter is pressed.. In this kits only simple chips like 4011 and LM567 are used.

http://www.escol.com.my/kits/ES-031.html

The above are just some examples that you can easily get by Googling. Motorola also makes the encoder and decoder chips for the remote control modules but I forgot their part numbers. Just do a search and I'm sure you can find them easily.:)

Allen

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
$10 is pretty inexpensive, unless you are making many of these. For the $10 you are getting a item that already has been proven to work. All of the trouble shooting has been done for you, and that some times is no small part of a project.

If you need many of these buying one and copying the circuit MAY be cheaper in the end. IF you consider your time as a zero cost.