making a IR sensor trigger and random number game kit

dmak

Joined Jun 28, 2007
I'm helping my son with a summer school project and need some aqdvice. We have two hobby kits, one is a 'random number game kit' which is activated by a push and hold switch the other is a 'infra red sensor module kit' The output from the IR sensor is described this way "The OUT-point output is active "HIGHT" when the RX has signel and is active "LOW" when the TX has not to signal.

We want to join these two kits together so that the IR sensor triggers the random number board. My question is, how or with what do we replace the push button switch with so that this will happen?

Hope this is enought information.
Thanks in advance for helping me look good!

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
You're asking for that IR sensor to do the same thing as activating the switch and hold it down. I assume you want the switch held down for a certain time interval.

You'd need some signal from the IR sensor to activate a timer circuit that would then perform the same act as closing the switch. Then after a specified time the timer would time out and the switch would be released. A bit more sophisticated would be for the timer circuit to continue holding the switch down until the IR sensor triggers on another event.

It seems the IR kit puts out a low when it detects something and a high when it doesn't. There's no information on how long it will put out that low when it detects.
I also don't know if this is a PIR module, an IR led or some other IR device.

If you have brand names of the kits, UPC codes or scans of the schematics post them. Also if this is from an online vendor post links to their site.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
if your purpose is to only trigger the switch without time consideration, then just remove the switch and use the relay of the IR reciever as your switch. since that push button NO switch is used to prolong the random generation and you would still want to follow your idea, that would entail additional circuits to simulate the random lenght of on time of the switch function.

moz

dmak

Joined Jun 28, 2007
thanks moz,

so to do this I'd connect one wire from the 'out' point on the sensor to one terminal of the switch. where would the other wire from the switch be connected to the sensor board? options appear to be 'no' 'com' & 'nc'

And if I followed mrmeval line of thinking would something like a 555 circuit do the trick?
thanks

dmak

Joined Jun 28, 2007
just wanted to thanks you both for your help, followed your advice, spent a little time in the book store reading the 'Art of Electronics' and we've completed the project, works a treat and we learned a lot.

thanks again