make or break

Status
Not open for further replies.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Since no one has bothered to mention this before the sporting season, here is some brief information.

For enclosed switches the manufacturers literature should describe the mode of operation.
If you have to measure it you need two meters to be sure.

If you can see the wafer mechanism then you can tell by inspection.

Look at my two diagrams.

The one on the left has a narrow tab that can only touch one contact terminal at a time and when the switch is between contact positions it doesn't touch any contact.

This is a break before make type.

The one on the right has a wider tab that touches two contact simultaneously as it is rotated in the in-between position. In the full position it only touches one contact, of course.

Attachments

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
What happens if its not the sporting season?

What if its not an enclosed switch?

What is the benefit of an enclosed switch?

If I don't have two meters how can I measure it?

What if I cant see a wafer mechanism?

How can I inspect it?

Where's my potty?

Just pre-empting the reply.....

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
What happens if its not the sporting season?

What if its not an enclosed switch?

What is the benefit of an enclosed switch?

If I don't have two meters how can I measure it?

What if I cant see a wafer mechanism?

How can I inspect it?

Where's my potty?

Just pre-empting the reply.....

More questions to be asked:

How do I know if it works?

I've seen some that say silver contacts. Why use silver??

Does one type cost more than the other?

Who makes switches.

What is a switch used for. Couldn't you just twist wires together?

How much current can a switch handle?

How far apart do the contacts have to be for X voltage?

How big does the knob have to be to turn a rotary switch?

Why?

Why?

What if?

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
UPS power supplies use a break before make switch for the AC wall to the AC generator and a Make before break switch for the Bypass the UPS input to output

What you give any more examples of using break before make and make before break switching?

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
I'm just looking for examples of make before break switching examples
and break before make switching examples

So i can learn from , would help me out a lot

GM11

Joined Sep 8, 2013

This is untrue, your looking for answers commonly asked at job interviews you have been to.
I expect you thinking you may need to attend another one shortly. I dare you to go show your boss the post you did on baud rate

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007

Well perhaps you didn't find my post#21, although others did.

Perhaps that is an example of why some are losing patience?

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Dexter, Note that the vast majority of relay changeover contacts are break before make. You are familiar with relays?. If you really need examples of other types of switch or relay changeover sets I suggest you look up a switch or relay manufacturers website for real life examples.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
a make before break switch is used when the voltage would rise to dangerous levels while switching. like when switching phases on a line current meter. an unloaded current transformer secondary goes to very high levels if not terminated, usually destroying the switch or transformer.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
a make before break switch is used when the voltage would rise to dangerous levels while switching. like when switching phases on a line current meter. an unloaded current transformer secondary goes to very high levels if not terminated, usually destroying the switch or transformer.
This type switch also applies a short across the unmonitored CTs. Switches are designed to meet the need of the circuit. Some are considered as a standard type while others are very, very special. See attached......

Attachments

GM11

Joined Sep 8, 2013
This type switch also applies a short across the unmonitored CTs. Switches are designed to meet the need of the circuit. Some are considered as a standard type while others are very, very special. See attached......
I bet you dont get those cheap! I have switches that even now I flinch when I think about what they cost :D

Status
Not open for further replies.