make or break

Status
Not open for further replies.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
I can't the difference between a make or break rotary switch VS a break to make rotary switch

What is the difference?

I can't the difference between a make or break relay VS a break or make relay switch

How can you tell the differences?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In rotary switches you have to state the mode or type, there can exist many configurations, functions etc.
Often the rotary switch state is make before break, or break before make, (next contact).
In a relay, the contact condition or state at rest or non-powered is the normal declared condition.
Max.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Often the rotary switch state is make before break, or break before make,
How can you tell which rotary switch you have when you're clicking it in a circuit? how can you tell if it's a make before break or break before make?

a relay, the contact condition or state at rest or non-powered is the normal declared condition.
So how can you tell if a relay is a make before break or break before make?

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
I still don't understand the difference between make before break or break before make

How can you tell the difference, what tests can I do to know what type of switch it is?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Use your imagination!
When you turn the switch and if the next contact is made before the present one releases contact it is make before break, if the contact is broken between one section and the next it is break before make.
Use a meter!
Max.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Make before break connects the next circuit before disconnecting the current circuit.
Why would you want a circuit to do a Make before Break switching?

Break before make disconnects the current circuit before connecting the next circuit.
Why would you want a circuit to do a break before make switching?

RULE OF THUMBS

When would you want a circuit to have Make before Break switching?

When would you want a circuit to have Break before Make switching?

What are some common examples of using Make before Break switching?

What are some common examples of using Break before make switching?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
How long is a piece of string?
That varies with how high up is.

I have never seen "make before break" used with relays.

I can't think of any uses besides switches but I would not rule it out.

As far as testing, make before break WILL short two outputs together during the change. That is detectable with a fast ohmmeter, or a light bulb, or a...

That varies with how high up is.

I have never seen "make before break" used with relays.

I can't think of any uses besides switches but I would not rule it out.

As far as testing, make before break WILL short two outputs together during the change. That is detectable with a fast ohmmeter, or a light bulb, or a...

Yes but what's a light bulb?
what does it do?
Why would you use one?
When would you use a light bulb instead of say a strip light?
How many watts does the light bulb have to be?
How can I tell if I need to use a light bulb or say a Led?
Why did they design a light bulb to give out light?
Why was is it a curly coil and not straight?
What did the guy who invented the Light bulb have for his lunch?

How fast does the Ohm meter need to be?
Can I use a analog one?
What button on my DMM do I use?

I have looked on google and cant find a A...... Whats it for?
When would you use A a....?
Why use A a.... instead of a light bulb?

There I think that just about covers the next set of question's

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
make before break WILL short two outputs together during the change
Why would you want to short out to outputs during a change?

I thought shorting out to outputs together can damage both outputs channels when shorting them out together

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I'm assuming for now that you actually want to learn something and are not just trolling. Because most of your threads DO look like trolling.

Maybe if you tell us your age and level of electronics schooling or experience we can tailor the answers to your knowlege level and make this go easier.

Regarding make before break, it is important sometimes to make sure the signal is not cut off during the switching.

Make before break rotary switches are often used in audio equipment to select different audio sources. If the switch breaks, there is NO signal at all for a brief period which can cause a loud unpleasant POP sound. So a make before break switch is used instead.

Depending on what is being switched, it might be best to break first, then make. Or in other applications it might be better to make before breaking.

Most cheap hobby type rotary switches are make before break, as one of the most common traditional uses was in audio switching. (And it probably makes the switches easier and cheaper to construct).

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I should have looked at the poster name before reading the question. Simple answer as to WHY, ... The circuit demands it for proper operation. Some inputs simply don't like open circuit inputs so the Make Before Break is in order. Some circuits demand that the two options must maintain isolation between them, therefore, the Beak Before Make option is required. All components are selected to 1. make the overall function work properly, 2. help the brother-in-law sell parts.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Another example of make-before-brake rotary switching is in resistance boxes or ammeter range switch.

Suppose you want to switch an ammeter to a different range setting or you want to select a different resistor that is in a series circuit. You may want to maintain a continuous current within the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.