Majorana particle

ross

Joined Jul 30, 2010
I put this up because it just may be the biggest discovery since the transistor,seriously I thought that someone would've understood the awsome implications of this discovery.Even if they don't understand my sense of humour.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not really. It may be a more efficient storage system. However, it is way too preliminary to see what it can do.

The technology of memistors, which is being developed, should be almost ready for prime time, while this new particle is being analyzed. Memistors (AKA, memristors) pave the way for 100 Terabytes or more of incredibly fast memory. Fast enough local RAM could be replace with direct access.

So while this is indeed big news, it is way too soon for sweeping proclamations of what this means.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Necroposting update:

Microsoft’s Big Win in Quantum Computing Was an ‘Error’ After All
In a 2018 paper, researchers said they found evidence of an elusive theorized particle. A closer look now suggests otherwise

https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-win-quantum-computing-error/
Kouwenhoven, in Delft, was one of the physicists who got Microsoft’s backing. His 2012 paper reporting “signatures” of Majorana particles inside nanowires started chatter about a future Nobel prize for proving the elusive particles’ existence. In 2016, Microsoft stepped up its investment—and the hype.
Frolov, the University of Pittsburgh researcher, says the questions around Kouwenhoven’s 2018 paper leave the small field of physics dedicated to detecting Majoranas “wounded,” facing a potentially unpleasant comedown after a period of high expectations. “We have good science to do with reasonable expectations, not magical expectations,” he says. Frolov says the group should release the full raw data from its experiments for outside scrutiny.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007