magnetic pulse

d0ug

Joined Sep 26, 2012
This is my first post but need help in making a magnetic pulser for healing. The project is to convert 110v AC to 300v DC to charge a 1000 uf 350volt capacitor and then discharge through a coil to produce a magnetic pulse. I have tried three or four different schematics with out success. I also tried voltage tripler and had the capacitors over heat and burn out. I need a fool proof system as I am no pro. in electronics so please make it simple.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
How often does the coil pulse (ie. what's the frequency)? Do you have a field strength you are trying to achieve?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Wikipedia says that this Quack Stuff actually works!
I'm pretty skeptical as well and have done zero research, but I do know that a friend of my wife's recently received some sort of "magnetic therapy" and has gone from being imminently suicidal to enjoying a major upswing in her life. It's just one anecdote and hardly convincing, but you'd never convince her that it didn't work.

Also, I'd be far more skeptical if I hadn't recently had firsthand experience with micro current neural stimulation. I HAVE researched that, and seen results personally, and it's the real deal. It helps people that often have no alternative. Making the leap to a magnetic field having an effect similar to µA level currents, well that's not so far fetched IMHO.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
If the OP isn't an experienced electronics tech then I'd discourage them from experimenting with hazardous voltages.

d0ug

Joined Sep 26, 2012
Please can I find help with this circuit if it works for health or not is not important. think this post has gotten off track

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
This is my first post but need help in making a magnetic pulser for healing. The project is to convert 110v AC to 300v DC to charge a 1000 uf 350volt capacitor and then discharge through a coil to produce a magnetic pulse. I have tried three or four different schematics with out success. I also tried voltage tripler and had the capacitors over heat and burn out. I need a fool proof system as I am no pro. in electronics so please make it simple.
Start with a transformer that converts 110 VAC to 215 VAC. Run that through a bridge rectifier to get about 300 Volts Peak on the 1000 uf 350 volt capacitor allowing for some voltage drop in the bridge rectifier. Now you can do what you want with it from that point. As you have already observed this kind of power switching can be hard on the components. When the capacitor discharges into the coil you basically have a short across your power supply. That is a problem. When you interrupt the circuit to let the capacitor charge up you will have a VERY large inductive kick. This is probably what is destroying your capacitors. You need to absorb this energy.

d0ug

Joined Sep 26, 2012
Start with a transformer that converts 110 VAC to 215 VAC. Run that through a bridge rectifier to get about 300 Volts Peak on the 1000 uf 350 volt capacitor allowing for some voltage drop in the bridge rectifier. Now you can do what you want with it from that point. As you have already observed this kind of power switching can be hard on the components. When the capacitor discharges into the coil you basically have a short across your power supply. That is a problem. When you interrupt the circuit to let the capacitor charge up you will have a VERY large inductive kick. This is probably what is destroying your capacitors. You need to absorb this energy.
Thanks do you have any suggestions on this circuit to absorb the surge. How large a transformer would I need. could I use a small transformer and a resister after the bridge to slowly charge the capacitor. Any suggestions that would help.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
...could I use a small transformer and a resister after the bridge to slowly charge the capacitor. Any suggestions that would help.
NOW we need more information. What is your pulse repetition rate? or what freq is the circuit operating at?

A switch could be used to give you an alternate charging path and which isolates your power supply from the 'short' circuit created on discharge.

if the freq is less than 5 or 10 k then a solid state relay might be ideal.

d0ug

Joined Sep 26, 2012
The pulse rate is manual it can be fired when the capacitor is charged. How strong of a relay do I need to take the capacitor discharge

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You only need the relay to carry the current for charging up the cap. A suitable resistor can be selected based on the RC time constant, or just use ohms law and calculate a rate of flow that is lower than what the relay is rated for. 1 amp should be more than sufficient.

The relay will be open when you discharge. Your switch should activate the relay while in the 'ready' position, and remove voltage when the switch is used to 'fire' the capacitor. A solid state relay will react faster than the mechanical/magnetic type, so you can repeatedly press the switch as fast as humanly possible and the relay will keep up.

Don't get cheap on the relay or the switch(these are pretty much the only working parts)

d0ug

Joined Sep 26, 2012
I finally finished the magnetic pulse generator thanks to everyone. It works great it cured my mother in law with a neck problem which she had for three days in two minuets and helped many others. The only problem with the unit is when it is used for a few minuets it quits and I have to wait a while before using it again. There is a big ark in the relay when I fire it

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Thanks for posting back with your success,and congratulations scoring big points with your MIL. I don't see a schematic anywhere in this thread, so I'm very curious what your final build was. Could you post a schematic and/or photos of your build?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I need a fool proof system as I am no pro. in electronics so please make it simple.
This is why the thread got "off track". The voltages and currents involved are lethal. I don't think anyone here, at least those with experience, are willing to take a chance that you don't do something that you don't understand, and kill or injure yourself. Or worse, someone else.

Ken