MAGNETIC HYSTERESIS LOSS AS RESISTANCE

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Hi Guys,

:rolleyes: Can someone plz explain me the logic behind the representation of 'Magnetic Hysteresis loss' as a resistance in electrical equivalent circuits?..... will be extremely grateful.
Thanx.

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Here is our Ebook chapter on AC effects - http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_9/8.html.

The change from one state of magnetization to the other requires some work being done to shift all those domains' orientations. The equivalent loss could be simulated by a resistance of appropriate value.
:) Thanx, but its very difficult to visualize a magnetic effect into an electrical one & hence the query! can you guide me to a link or literature elaborating on the Physics of Hysteresis Loss? will be very much grateful

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
:rolleyes: Even though the physics of Hysteresis Loss has been explained appropriately in the link, I wish to dwell deeper into the phenomenon to get to the source of my doubt. In spite of the relevant theory, it becomes difficult to visualize a magnetic phenomenon into an electrical parameter as mentioned by me earlier. When we talk of energy expended by the power source to ‘pump up’ the magnetic field in the core, sounds a bit abstract!

I want to understand what phenomenon in the magnetic hysteresis causes the machine (Xmer or motor) to suck an additional losses (wattful) current from the power source.
Is it a result of the delay caused by the magnetic dipole friction in the magnetic core........ which prevents the magnetic field from building up quickly? I would be grateful if someone could elaborate on this part. Thanx. :)

Kind Regards,
Shahvir