Magnetic Flux in an opposing transformer

Misfit

Joined Jul 25, 2013

So in this diagram here, the linkage flux is all in one direction. I am assuming this is because it is the net flux. However I am trying to understand the linkage flux 21 and 12 and as I understand they will be travelling in opposing directions due to the direction of the currents, is this right? And if so, which directions does each travel in?

I understand the directions of the leakage flux due to the right hand rule, but have yet to see any diagrams showing the opposing linkage flux.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"21 and 12" ???
Those are symbols that engineers use to name certain current paths or impedances in circuits. I've only seen them used for individual transistors. I don't know what they mean either, but apparently they are pretty well known.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I think the OP is referring to the flux generated by the primary winding current which links the secondary winding ['12'] or the flux generated by the secondary winding current which links the primary winding ['21']. The mutual fluxes rather than leakage fluxes.

This is possibly a thought by the OP in relation to an "old chestnut" regarding transformers when people sometimes ask: "If the primary and secondary winding current mutual fluxes cancel each other, then how does one obtain any induced voltage in the windings?" Or perhaps something along those lines.

Generally they overlook the presence & origin of the primary winding excitation flux .....