Magnet question

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Well, there will be varying magnetic fields out there, regardless of how tiny, and in the real universe there will be some temperature. Given forever, they are likely to get the job done.

BTW, I meant if it were at absolute zero, temperature wise, the magnetic field might just last forever.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Cosmic radiation would probably have an effect.

Being the end of time - who (or whom) will be around to check one way or the other? If so will they really be all that interested. If they were still around (and interested) they probably already knew the outcome in advance.

It's an interesting philosophical question.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Cosmic radiation would probably have an effect.

Being the end of time - who (or whom) will be around to check one way or the other? If so will they really be all that interested. If they were still around (and interested) they probably already knew the outcome in advance.

It's an interesting philosophical question.
If the magnet was in a sterile vacuum that is absent from the dangers of space there must always be something that will demagnetize the magnet because nothing lasts forever.

I think any civilization at that time scraping an existence around a red dwarf would have more important things to worry about, o well :rolleyes:

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
If the magnet was in a sterile vacuum that is absent from the dangers of space there must always be something that will demagnetize the magnet because nothing lasts forever.

I think any civilization at that time scraping an existence around a red dwarf would have more important things to worry about, o well :rolleyes:
If it were possible to isolate the magnet from all external influences then there would be nothing to demagnetize it.

If nothing lasts forever does the magnet itself physically vanish before it demagnetizes?

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
If it were possible to isolate the magnet from all external influences then there would be nothing to demagnetize it.

If nothing lasts forever does the magnet itself physically vanish before it demagnetizes?
I didn't think about that one. YES the magnet would vanish before it demagnetizes

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Then there's always the First Law of Thermodynamics to contend with.

or another issue regarding observers ...

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There are two forces that demagnetizes a magnet, heat and mechanical shock. If it were cold and static I think it would last quite a while. Probably longer than humans.

Have I missed something?