Magnet Lights..

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
When free electronic pass through a magnetic field, they experience a disruptive force which displaces the electrons with a given velocity. That displacement produces a magnetic field that's oriented to oppose the field of the original field (Lense’s law) So, while approaching the magnets, the electrons are displaced in one direction, and while leaving the magnets, they suddenly change direction. This would cause ringing of the motion and fields, which would produce a changing current in the pickup coil.

That's just my opinion.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I asked them, this was his answer:

"We use a technique that works with alternating magnetic fields instead of a constant magnetic field. At the moment we think it is best not to publish everything because other companies that don't car for patents could copy the system before we are ready to start.
We present the technique this weekend at fair trade in Essen/Germany where everybody can check this is real (for exmaple exchange wheels and drag,...) . So we wouldn't have a chance with a fake there.
Best,
Dirk"

If it doesn't use a battery but permanent magnets like was said on his website then I guess they could be using a rotating permanent magnet.
I made a test with an aluminium bar and a suspended permanent magnet and of course it moves when the aluminium bar is moving near it.

That would then be a specialty device that could justify the initial high price tag.

If it's not a moving permanent magnet but an alternating magnetic field, how does it work?

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Yea wouldn't surprise me if inside the rim beside the tube is glued on magnets.

I mean who is bringing in there own rim to test this thing...

Brownout's solution makes sense but the fact that they are using high output leds makes me wonder just how strong of a magnetic field it would take to accomplish it.

Since you have gone the distance in testing and requesting the "secret" ill give it a go also.

As far as worrying about someone not respecting his patent..he must realize one of his first buyers will most likely be a Chinese manufacturer.

Think a CD or foil covered CD would be a substitute for a rim?

Wondering how much mass has to do w/ the field disturbance....

To everyone else, I'm throwing down the gauntlet..make something that demonstrates the principle behind this thing.

Do it, I'll mail you a ultra rare super awesome IC as a reward..oh yes you will love it =)

-luvv-

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
How about something like this. The axis of the magnet is offset from the center of the rim, so that only half of the magnet causes, and is influenced by, eddy currents. This causes it to rotate. The rotating magnet is then simply coupled to a DC generator, which drives the LEDs.
Watch the video on the Magnic site, and you will see one view where the Magnic is clearly offset from the rim.

Attachments

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
How about something like this. The axis of the magnet is offset from the center of the rim, so that only half of the magnet causes, and is influenced by, eddy currents. This causes it to rotate. The rotating magnet is then simply coupled to a DC generator, which drives the LEDs.
Watch the video on the Magnic site, and you will see one view where the Magnic is clearly offset from the rim.
Yeah a moving/rotating magnet is the only obvious solution I see. I asked him in a second email about the price. He responded that they use some very expensive components. This indeed points towards a custom made magnetic device.

I can't imagine anything working with a stationary permanent magnet... maybe it's just lack of imagination :D

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Makes sense but contradicts this statement "These eddy currents have their own magnetic fields (see Wikipedia) which are absorbed by the Magnic Light generator kernel"

Unless by "absorbed" he means transferred and by "kernel" he means dynamo.

Wouldn't that set up have nearly the same same braking effect as a touch dynamo considering it is indeed a dynamo being turned?

Besides i would rather believe there is some Edward current magic going on in there:D

-luvv-

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Makes sense but contradicts this statement "These eddy currents have their own magnetic fields (see Wikipedia) which are absorbed by the Magnic Light generator kernel"

Unless by "absorbed" he means transferred and by "kernel" he means dynamo.

Wouldn't that set up have nearly the same same braking effect as a touch dynamo considering it is indeed a dynamo being turned?

Besides i would rather believe there is some Edward current magic going on in there:D

-luvv-
There is no contradiction in Ron's idea. The interaction of the rotating permanent magnet interacts with the magnetic field generated inside the rim.

The braking effect will be proportional to the current you draw from the generator, also there will be heating losses in the rim.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
One problem I see with my idea is the beveled edge on the Magnic light unit. A rotating disc magnet would need that space.

EDIT: There's another problem with my idea. Here is a quote from Dirk Strothmann, one of the inventors:
We use a technique that provides alternating magnetic fields instead of a static magnetic field. So the same with the eddy currents which are alternating and the same again in our generator.

Last edited: