Made a binary clock with flip flops and gates, no PIC!!!

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
So we learned all this digital logic theory in college right. Being the practical person that every engineer is, I thought what REAL useful device can I make with this?

I decided to make a binary clock. First it was supposed to only have 24 hours, 60 minutes and 60 seconds.

Then people told me, that's too easy. So I designed it to have 12 hours with am/pm. Also days of the week 1-7. Then I had an artistic friend help me with the aesthetic design portion of it. The pyramid looking shape.

I made a custom acrylic box, had a laser cutter cut the squares out. Got some square LED's and here it is. Its basically finished. Now I am in the process of making a cover to hide those 300 million wires. Have already fixed the two dim LED's you see there.

Also added the following switches: Set minutes, hours, days. Am/pm is set by incrementing hours. Also a general set clock switch, reset all flip flops switch, and power switch. Debounced all the switches. You can see me setting them in the video.

Here it is. If people like it, I can post my schematic. Note to self: next time use PIC microcontroller!!!!!!

YOUTUBE VIDEO below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8SEyMmoGtw

P.S. Retched you remember me bugging you about a 1hz oscillator circuit. Yea. Thats why. ;):D

Its actually extremely accurate. Does not lose a second as far as I can see. Maybe over a month it will, will test that.

Attachments

Last edited:

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
By the way, yinz mods, I figure this should be moved to Completed projects, but the thing is. 310 views in this forum, and 5 views in the Completed projects. ;) I don't know you decide.

P.S. Yinz is Pittsburghese for "Yall".

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I don't know if I should sympathise with you or start to avoid you for soldering all those wires; Are you MAD?

Well done on a well-presented project anyway!

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Just watched the video.
I must say that I really liked the visual created by setting the minuets, It was very... visually appealing. For some the reason the binary progression just stuck out to me.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009

Clock is finished.

Going to make a new video soon where I show what the LEDs represent. Yes I will post the schematic soon. Its just a bunch of ripple counters connected with logic to detect 60, for the most part anyway.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
By the way, yinz mods, I figure this should be moved to Completed projects, but the thing is. 310 views in this forum, and 5 views in the Completed projects. ;) I don't know you decide.

P.S. Yinz is Pittsburghese for "Yall".
Clean it up first. And include the schematic.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Get the drawings organized, which also includes schematics, along with a description. The whole point of the completed projects collection is to allow people to make one for themselves. Think of it as an article.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Get the drawings organized, which also includes schematics, along with a description. The whole point of the completed projects collection is to allow people to make one for themselves. Think of it as an article.
If anybody is crazy enough to make one of these themselves, I will give them a medal. LOL. It was fun. In some ways more fun than using a PIC, and definitely harder.

But some people around here want to avoid me for soldering over 9000 connections in the duration of a year. :D

But yea, sure I will use Kicad to make some neat schematics. Thats what we use at work. Love that program.