M54128 Earth Leakage Current Detector

kevindd992002

Joined Nov 23, 2010
Can anyone please help me on what function does the M54128 Earth Leakage Current Detector do? I don't quite understand what it does based on the datasheet: http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe.../M54128FP.html provided by Renesas/Mitsubishi.

I'm in the process of doing an Analysis and Simulation job in my company but I'm new to this. I have the circuit of the whole chip but am having a hard time analyzing it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
It appears to be part of a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) to kill the circuit when current from hot doesn't match current in neutral.

Possibly also an Arc Fault Detector, possibly both. The datasheet I looked at (your link didn't work for me) stated:

The M54128L/FP is a semiconductor integrated circuit having leakage detection and abnormal voltage detection
functions for high-speed earth leakage interruption, and was developed for use in earth leakage breakers.

kevindd992002

Joined Nov 23, 2010
Hmm. Well, I have the whole chip circuit with me (transistor level) and my task is to analyze how it works. I'm having a hard time though because it is my first time to analyze a whole chip circuit. I also have Cadence to simulate it.

Would it be possible for you guys to help me analyze each block of this IC?

What does earth-leakage exactly mean? Is this unwanted current that flows to ground?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What does earth-leakage exactly mean? Is this unwanted current that flows to ground?
It means current is taking a path to ground other than on the neutral return conductor, such as when somebody has one hand on a live wire, and the other on a cold water faucet. It must be interrupted within 5-20mS to minimize chances of cardiac arrest.

kevindd992002

Joined Nov 23, 2010
Thanks for the info. Now I understand the function of the chip in a general sense. But I need to go in-depth looking into Transistor Level and to the expected input and output graphs presented in the datasheet.

Can you guys help me in analyzing how it works by explaining the graphs presented in page 6 of the datasheet of this chip?

Sorry for the wrong link,

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Which part do you not understand?

We have a few guys here that have worked directly with chip design and fab if that is the sort of advice you are looking for, one of them should stumble across the thread I would think.

kevindd992002

Joined Nov 23, 2010
I'm prohibited to actually post the reverse-engineered circuit as it is intellectual property of the company, would it be possible to send the schematic directly to you through PM? Or any of you guys, with experience in chip design, willing to help me in this?

Thanks.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

We do not give support to reverse-engineerd circuits.
You will have to publish the circuits you want to discuss or don't discuss it at all.

Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

We can only give good advice when we can have a look at the schematics.
Without any schematic it is very difficult to give an answer.

Bertus