Lying to a sensor

Schutzengel

Joined Jun 27, 2009
I have a small thermocouple that I wish to variably alter the perceived voltage without harming the original signal, so that variations in the original will be passed along to the receiving side. I want to be able to "tune" this sensor essentially without interfereing with it too much.

Can I just place a a second variable DC circuit in series? (I want to boost the signal between 200-350mV the original signal is about 1.45VDC)

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
what TC is giving you 1.45v ??

instrumentation diff op amp with gain needed and a pot on the output for tuning. this assumes small current requirements on the output stage, etc.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Can I just place a a second variable DC circuit in series? (I want to boost the signal between 200-350mV the original signal is about 1.45VDC)
It's been many years since I played with a Thermocouple but I would think the answer to your question is yes.

Schutzengel

Joined Jun 27, 2009
what TC is giving you 1.45v ??

instrumentation diff op amp with gain needed and a pot on the output for tuning. this assumes small current requirements on the output stage, etc.

that is more or less what I had assumed but you know what you do when you assume...

TC with 1.45 volts is measuring the output of a sensor controlled heat generating device unfortunately use of alternate fuels vary the required output temperature for efficiency so I need to be able to "tune" the sensor to the correct the measurements, I wish I could go into more detail but I am still trying to put the system togehter in my head but I will let you know about the ideas when they have a little more solid footing.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
that is more or less what I had assumed but you know what you do when you assume...

TC with 1.45 volts is measuring the output of a sensor controlled heat generating device unfortunately use of alternate fuels vary the required output temperature for efficiency so I need to be able to "tune" the sensor to the correct the measurements, I wish I could go into more detail but I am still trying to put the system togehter in my head but I will let you know about the ideas when they have a little more solid footing.
i dont follow.
type k tc generates about 50.633mV at 1250°C, so i dont follow where this 1.45V is coming from.

how accurate and how stable (ppm) does the solution need to be?

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Or do you just want a buffer amp with variable gain? We are curious about the very high output from a thermocouple.
Oops! I should have been more inquisitive about 1.45V output from a Thermocouple.

This administration is looking for new alternative energy sources. If your TC puts out comparable current, I think you found it! :D

Last edited: