LTSpice *.cir file

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The LTS Help says this about a *.cir file:-
How do I run a netlist?
Just open the text file first and then run it. LTspice IV will recognize the file as a netlist if it has file extension of ".cir"

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi

I am trying to use this motor model:
http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits/dc_motor_model/DCmotor_model.htm

It gives me a *.cir file.

I wondered do I just copy this file to LTSpice, or do I need to create a component for the gui?

It is pretty vague to a novice.

Thanks
Hi

Start LTSpice, open the .cir file from the "file" menu, click anywhere in the file to be sure its active, then click the Run button (Running Man symbol). A plot screen should then display.

Then,

RHT-cLk in the file window, and select "Visible Traces" from the menu, then select the values specified by this statement:

.PRINT TRAN V(1) I(VSENSE1)

The selected values should be V(1) and I(VSENSE1) and should be displayed in the plot screen.

see attached

eT

Attachments

Last edited:

duxbuz

Joined Feb 23, 2014
http://www.bot-thoughts.com/2009/07/spice-part-5.html

I am looking at this site and on it is a screenshot of a circuit.

On the far left is a symbol with an arrow.

Does anyone know what this is?

Not as important but... on the right hand side the E_EMF part seems to have a second set of + - signs where the wires intersect... I cannot get my LTSpice schematic to do this, I just get typical joins.(blue little squares)

Is this a trick I am missing?

duxbuz

Joined Feb 23, 2014
Almost done.

Just seeming to have issue having the sub circuit be recognised by the other files.

I have :

.asc
.asy
.cir

files.

The tutorial mentions an include directive, but its not really shown.
Subcircuits are referenced (called) by the pseudo-element identifier X followed by whatever name assigned to the instance of the subcircuit:

XYYYYYYYN1 [ N2N3 ... ] SUBNAM
Including Files

SPICE also lets you include entire files via the .INCLUDE card. I used this when simulating the motor in MacSpice.

.INCLUDE filename

So let's put the motor subcircuit in a separate file, motor.cir, and we can include it into our earlier circuit description.

I get an error missing schematics of the hierarchy.

Can anyone help me work it out?

Ta

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Almost done.

Just seeming to have issue having the sub circuit be recognised by the other files.

I have :

.asc
.asy
.cir

files.

The tutorial mentions an include directive, but its not really shown.

I get an error missing schematics of the hierarchy.

Can anyone help me work it out?

Ta
Just read post #5...

eT

duxbuz

Joined Feb 23, 2014
I thought post number 5 just showed how to run the .cir file?

I have managed that and it isn't really what I require.

I am now after doing something a little different

cheers

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
http://www.bot-thoughts.com/2009/07/spice-part-5.html

I am looking at this site and on it is a screenshot of a circuit.

On the far left is a symbol with an arrow.

Does anyone know what this is?

Not as important but... on the right hand side the E_EMF part seems to have a second set of + - signs where the wires intersect... I cannot get my LTSpice schematic to do this, I just get typical joins.(blue little squares)

Is this a trick I am missing?
The symbol on the far left is a F element or CCCS (current controlled current source). The one one the right is an E element or VCVS (voltage controlled voltage source)

You should be using the E element in the sym folder..it is a 4 terminal element.

eT