LTspice: Association of 3'rd party models with existing symbols?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
If you are reinstalling the program, take a look at my web page:
http://bordodynov.ltwiki.org/

In my collection, you'll find a lot of additional operational amplifiers. By the way, there is also a discussion there, as well as a model on transistors.
And here's what I have:View attachment 186158 View attachment 186159
Thanks, Bordodynov!:cool: -- I'll certainly check it out following resolution of my present 'difficulties'... An expansive component library will, indeed, be a thing of great beauty!:)

Best regards
HP

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
This is just for information…

LTSpice has the ability to use any folders containing sub/lib/model files or symbol files.

So let’s say you create 2 folders in your documents folder called HPs Models and HPs Symbols, then you go into control panel and add them to the program’s search path.

The result is the HPs symbols folder then becomes available in the add components dropdown.

It also prevents the annual updating from trashing your custom files.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
LTSpice has the ability to use any folders containing sub/lib/model files or symbol files.
It also prevents the annual updating from trashing your custom files.
Good advice. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but in the several years I've been using LTS it's always carefully avoided trashing my add-ons in its own default lib folders when updating.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
So is the .sub file in the directory path shown?
The disk address of the '.sub' file is:
D:\Subsidiary_Content\My Documents\LTspiceXVII\lib\sub\TL072.sub

Whereas the address of the '.asy' file is:

D:\Subsidiary_Content\My Documents\LTspiceXVII\lib\sym\opamps\TL072.asy

I am uncertain as to why extensions on '.asy' files are hidden (within LTspice dialogs) despite Windows folder-options settings to the contrary. -- But then, inasmuch as such appears to be 'standard behaviour' across other's LTspiceXVII installations, I don't make much of it...

(Why is it looking on the D: drive?)
Inasmuch as this system is a semi-dedicated component of a 'high traffic' file server, it was deemed advisable that the 'Windows partition' (in actuality, four dedicated physical HDDs) was configured such that all personal Sysop libraries (i.e. the 'documents and settings' directory, etc...) resided upon dedicated mirrored drives ('D:' Drive) -- invisible and (theoretically:rolleyes:) inaccessible to Apache...

Please note that such is not a casual 'hack'!:eek: -- Said 'relocation' is a Microsoft supported feature and utterly transparent to Windows and all software running under same...
Know also that all drives containing Windows and Windows applications are physically distinct from the (LINUX) formatted/operated server bank...

Then too, I've likewise attempted every step of this thread's debugging process on my Hub's 'maintenance and control unit' (which being an 'oldish' Dell Optiplex running the selfsame OS version [To wit: Win 7 Ultimate x64 (SP1)]) -- said system configured in the standard fashion (i.e. as installed -- user libraries, etc all located, as usual, on the boot drive ('C:') -- on which system I've also disabled UAC and 'real time protection' during said tests...

With undying gratitude!
HP:)

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@Bordodynov, et al

While on the subject of LTspice... I'm looking for a stand-alone '.sub' for the CD4013 -- Although I found the file (attached to this post), it appears incomplete and with a number of annoying 'parameters' that LTspice "can't resolve":rolleyes:

Embarrassingly I am not yet sufficiently versed in 'Spice-ese' to mend it and I can find no other models of said device on the web (please don't anyone suggest the Yahoo group!) -- Signup doesn't work!:( - even with my security suites set to minimum:rolleyes:

So... My questions

1) Is the attached '.sub' 'reparable'/amenable to 'stand alone' functionality?
If not
2) Does anyone know of a source (other than Yahoo groups) where I might find a working '.sub' for the CD4013?

Very best regards
HP:cool:

Attachments

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Okay,
Unfortunately I'm out of ideas as to why you are having a problem. :(
I have to believe --especially since I experience the identical problem on two systems marked by significant dissimilarity of hardware-- that I'm somehow acting with 'below the radar industrial strength stupidity':oops: --- I'll keep working on it! -- If (I want to say WHENo_O) I discover the 'error of my ways' I'll let y'all know about it!:cool: --- In the meantime please let me know should you have any further ideas/'things for me to try':)

Many, many sincere thanks for your time and effort on my behalf! -- I assure you such is much appreciated!:)

Very best regards
HP

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
@Bordodynov, et al

While on the subject of LTspice... I'm looking for a stand-alone '.sub' for the CD4013 -- Although I found the file (attached to this post), it appears incomplete and with a number of annoying 'parameters' that LTspice "can't resolve":rolleyes:

Embarrassingly I am not yet sufficiently versed in 'Spice-ese' to mend it and I can find no other models of said device on the web (please don't anyone suggest the Yahoo group!) -- Signup doesn't work!:( - even with my security suites set to minimum:rolleyes:

So... My questions

1) Is the attached '.sub' 'reparable'/amenable to 'stand alone' functionality?
If not
2) Does anyone know of a source (other than Yahoo groups) where I might find a working '.sub' for the CD4013?

Very best regards
HP:cool:

Hi

Here is a "fixed" .sub file

But you really should use the CD4000_v.lib from the.....er….uh….:eek:...LTspice Yahoo Group.:D
Why?

Because your probably gonna want to use more CD4000 devices and unless you use the library each model file will have to be "fixed"
like this one....

Maybe Bordodynov has a copy of the CD4000_v.lib...?

eT

Attachments

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hi

Here is a "fixed" .sub file

But you really should use the CD4000_v.lib from the.....er….uh….:eek:...LTspice Yahoo Group.:D
Why?

Because your probably gonna want to use more CD4000 devices and unless you use the library each model file will have to be "fixed"
like this one....

Maybe Bordodynov has a copy of the CD4000_v.lib...?

eT
Thanks!

FWIW I have CD4000_v.lib as well as a collection of 4000 series '.asy' files (each attached below for the benefit of others having difficulty with Yahoo).

In point of fact the file you so kindly 'repaired' was composed of text cropped from CD4000_v.lib (Thus it seems resources located elsewhere in the library were required?)

In answer to the obvious question -- considering I can't seem to manage so basic a skill as association of '.sub's with '.asy's, I didn't fancy my chances installing an entire library:oops:

Very best regards

Attachments

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@eetech00

I apologize that I am yet experiencing difficulty with the CD4013 .sub model:oops::( --- FWIW I installed it via the 'autogenerated route' (i.e. placed the file in the 'sub' directory, then opened same in LTspice, 'right-clicked' on the CD4013 Subcircuit line then elected to automatically create a symbol).

Having added the auto-generated component to a schematic and run the simulator, I received many prompts in regards to 'unresolved parameters' after which the simulation 'bombed' with a 'fatal error' (please see the log-file contents bolded below...

But really? The device in question has no need of 'user tweekable' parameters:confused: Is it practical to merely modify the file such that the unit behaves as a 'typical' CD4013 ( à la other CD4000 series '.sub's I've installed)?

Best regards and many thanks for your efforts!

*************Here's the error log***************

Questionable use of curly braces in "xu1 nc_01 nc_02 nc_03 nc_04 nc_05 nc_06 nc_07 nc_08 cd4013b vdd1={vdd} speed1={speed} tripdt1={tripdt}"
Error: undefined symbol in: "[vdd]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xu1 nc_01 nc_02 nc_03 nc_04 nc_05 nc_06 nc_07 nc_08 cd4013b vdd1=(vdd) speed1={speed} tripdt1={tripdt}"
Error: undefined symbol in: "[speed]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xu1 nc_01 nc_02 nc_03 nc_04 nc_05 nc_06 nc_07 nc_08 cd4013b vdd1=(vdd) speed1=(speed) tripdt1={tripdt}"
Error: undefined symbol in: "[tripdt]"
Circuit: * C:\Users\Owner\Documents\LTspiceXVII\lib\sym\AutoGenerated\Draft1.asc

WARNING: Can't resolve .param vdd1=(vdd)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param speed1=(speed)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param tripdt1=(tripdt)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param vdd1=vdd
WARNING: Can't resolve .param speed1=speed
WARNING: Can't resolve .param tripdt1=tripdt
WARNING: Can't resolve .param td1=1e-9*(150-10-40-10)*5/(vdd1)*(speed1)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param td2=1e-9*(150-10-40-10)*5/(vdd1)*(speed1)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param td3=1e-9*(150+20-10-40-10)*5/(vdd1)*(speed1)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param td4=1e-9*(10)*5/(vdd1)*(speed1)
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td1=1e-9*(150-10-40-10)*5/{vdd1}*{speed1}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[vdd1]"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td1=1e-9*(150-10-40-10)*5/(vdd1)*{speed1}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[speed1]"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td2=1e-9*(150-10-40-10)*5/{vdd1}*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td2=1e-9*(150-10-40-10)*5/(vdd1)*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td3=1e-9*(150+20-10-40-10)*5/{vdd1}*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td3=1e-9*(150+20-10-40-10)*5/(vdd1)*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td4=1e-9*(10)*5/{vdd1}*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td4=1e-9*(10)*5/(vdd1)*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin1 s si vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2={vdd1} speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin1 s si vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin1 s si vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2=(speed1) tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[tripdt1]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin2 c ci vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2={vdd1} speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin2 c ci vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin2 c ci vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2=(speed1) tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin3 d di vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2={vdd1} speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin3 d di vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin3 d di vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2=(speed1) tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin4 r ri vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2={vdd1} speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin4 r ri vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin4 r ri vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2=(speed1) tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "acdel ci 0 0 0 0 0 cp 0 buf tripdt={tripdt1} td={td1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "acdel ci 0 0 0 0 0 cp 0 buf tripdt=(tripdt1) td={td1}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[td1]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "addel di 0 0 0 0 0 dp 0 buf tripdt={tripdt1} td={td3}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "addel di 0 0 0 0 0 dp 0 buf tripdt=(tripdt1) td={td3}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[td3]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "arinv ri 0 0 0 0 0 rp 0 buf tripdt={tripdt1} td={td2}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "arinv ri 0 0 0 0 0 rp 0 buf tripdt=(tripdt1) td={td2}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[td2]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "asinv si 0 0 0 0 0 sp 0 buf tripdt={tripdt1} td={td2}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "asinv si 0 0 0 0 0 sp 0 buf tripdt=(tripdt1) td={td2}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "a1 di 0 cp sp rp qni qi0 0 dflop tripdt={tripdt1} td={td4}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "a1 di 0 cp sp rp qni qi0 0 dflop tripdt=(tripdt1) td={td4}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[td4]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "asdel sp 0 0 0 0 0 sp1 0 buf tripdt={tripdt1} td={td4}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "asdel sp 0 0 0 0 0 sp1 0 buf tripdt=(tripdt1) td={td4}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "ad qi0 sp1 0 0 0 0 qi 0 or tripdt={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xout1 qi q vdd vgnd cd40_out_1x vdd2={vdd1} speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xout1 qi q vdd vgnd cd40_out_1x vdd2=(vdd1) speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xout1 qi q vdd vgnd cd40_out_1x vdd2=(vdd1) speed2=(speed1) tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xout2 qni qn vdd vgnd cd40_out_1x vdd2={vdd1} speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xout2 qni qn vdd vgnd cd40_out_1x vdd2=(vdd1) speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xout2 qni qn vdd vgnd cd40_out_1x vdd2=(vdd1) speed2=(speed1) tripdt2={tripdt1}"
WARNING: Can't resolve .param vdd2=(vdd1)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param speed2=(speed1)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param tripdt2=(tripdt1)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param vdd3=vdd2
WARNING: Can't resolve .param speed3=speed2
WARNING: Can't resolve .param tripdt3=tripdt2
WARNING: Can't resolve .param cval=1.8e-12*5/(vdd3)*(speed3)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param gain=(1/(vdd3))
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param cval = 1.8e-12*5/{vdd3}*{speed3}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[vdd3]"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param cval = 1.8e-12*5/(vdd3)*{speed3}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[speed3]"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param gain=(1/{vdd3})"
Questionable use of curly braces in "c1 out10 vgnd {cval}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[cval]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "ae1 out20 0 0 0 0 0 out 0 buf ref={vt1} vhigh=1 tripdt={tripdt3}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[tripdt3]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "ae1 out20 0 0 0 0 0 out 0 buf ref={vt1} vhigh=1 tripdt={tripdt3}"
WARNING: Can't resolve .param trise1=80e-9*5.0/(vdd3)*(speed3)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param rout=500*5.0/(vdd3)*(speed3)
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param trise1=80e-9*5.0/{vdd3}*{speed3}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param trise1=80e-9*5.0/(vdd3)*{speed3}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param rout=500*5.0/{vdd3}*{speed3}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param rout=500*5.0/(vdd3)*{speed3}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "ae1 in 0 0 0 0 0 out10 0 buf tripdt={tripdt3} trise={trise1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "ae1 in 0 0 0 0 0 out10 0 buf tripdt=(tripdt3) trise={trise1}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[trise1]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "rout out20 out {rout}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[rout]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "ae1 in 0 0 0 0 0 out10 0 buf tripdt={tripdt3} trise={trise1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "ae1 in 0 0 0 0 0 out10 0 buf tripdt=(tripdt3) trise={trise1}"
Fatal Error: u1:in1:b1: Unknown circuit node: "nc_07" requested in behavioral source

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
@eetech00

I apologize that I am yet experiencing difficulty with the CD4013 .sub model:oops::( --- FWIW I installed it via the 'autogenerated route' (i.e. placed the file in the 'sub' directory, then opened same in LTspice, 'right-clicked' on the CD4013 Subcircuit line then elected to automatically create a symbol).

Having added the auto-generated component to a schematic and run the simulator, I received many prompts in regards to 'unresolved parameters' after which the simulation 'bombed' with a 'fatal error' (please see the log-file contents bolded below...

But really? The device in question has no need of 'user tweekable' parameters:confused: Is it practical to merely modify the file such that the unit behaves as a 'typical' CD4013 ( à la other CD4000 series '.sub's I've installed)?

Best regards and many thanks for your efforts!

*************Here's the error log***************

Questionable use of curly braces in "xu1 nc_01 nc_02 nc_03 nc_04 nc_05 nc_06 nc_07 nc_08 cd4013b vdd1={vdd} speed1={speed} tripdt1={tripdt}"
Error: undefined symbol in: "[vdd]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xu1 nc_01 nc_02 nc_03 nc_04 nc_05 nc_06 nc_07 nc_08 cd4013b vdd1=(vdd) speed1={speed} tripdt1={tripdt}"
Error: undefined symbol in: "[speed]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xu1 nc_01 nc_02 nc_03 nc_04 nc_05 nc_06 nc_07 nc_08 cd4013b vdd1=(vdd) speed1=(speed) tripdt1={tripdt}"
Error: undefined symbol in: "[tripdt]"
Circuit: * C:\Users\Owner\Documents\LTspiceXVII\lib\sym\AutoGenerated\Draft1.asc

WARNING: Can't resolve .param vdd1=(vdd)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param speed1=(speed)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param tripdt1=(tripdt)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param vdd1=vdd
WARNING: Can't resolve .param speed1=speed
WARNING: Can't resolve .param tripdt1=tripdt
WARNING: Can't resolve .param td1=1e-9*(150-10-40-10)*5/(vdd1)*(speed1)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param td2=1e-9*(150-10-40-10)*5/(vdd1)*(speed1)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param td3=1e-9*(150+20-10-40-10)*5/(vdd1)*(speed1)
WARNING: Can't resolve .param td4=1e-9*(10)*5/(vdd1)*(speed1)
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td1=1e-9*(150-10-40-10)*5/{vdd1}*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td1=1e-9*(150-10-40-10)*5/(vdd1)*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td2=1e-9*(150-10-40-10)*5/{vdd1}*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td2=1e-9*(150-10-40-10)*5/(vdd1)*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td3=1e-9*(150+20-10-40-10)*5/{vdd1}*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td3=1e-9*(150+20-10-40-10)*5/(vdd1)*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td4=1e-9*(10)*5/{vdd1}*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in ".param td4=1e-9*(10)*5/(vdd1)*{speed1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin1 s si vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2={vdd1} speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin1 s si vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin1 s si vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2=(speed1) tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin2 c ci vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2={vdd1} speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin2 c ci vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin2 c ci vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2=(speed1) tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin3 d di vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2={vdd1} speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin3 d di vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin3 d di vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2=(speed1) tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin4 r ri vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2={vdd1} speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin4 r ri vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xin4 r ri vdd vgnd cd40_in_1 vdd2=(vdd1) speed2=(speed1) tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "acdel ci 0 0 0 0 0 cp 0 buf tripdt={tripdt1} td={td1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "acdel ci 0 0 0 0 0 cp 0 buf tripdt=(tripdt1) td={td1}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[td1]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "addel di 0 0 0 0 0 dp 0 buf tripdt={tripdt1} td={td3}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "addel di 0 0 0 0 0 dp 0 buf tripdt=(tripdt1) td={td3}"
Error: yet unevaluated parameter in: "[td3]"
Questionable use of curly braces in "arinv ri 0 0 0 0 0 rp 0 buf tripdt={tripdt1} td={td2}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "arinv ri 0 0 0 0 0 rp 0 buf tripdt=(tripdt1) td={td2}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "asinv si 0 0 0 0 0 sp 0 buf tripdt={tripdt1} td={td2}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "asinv si 0 0 0 0 0 sp 0 buf tripdt=(tripdt1) td={td2}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "a1 di 0 cp sp rp qni qi0 0 dflop tripdt={tripdt1} td={td4}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "a1 di 0 cp sp rp qni qi0 0 dflop tripdt=(tripdt1) td={td4}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "asdel sp 0 0 0 0 0 sp1 0 buf tripdt={tripdt1} td={td4}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "asdel sp 0 0 0 0 0 sp1 0 buf tripdt=(tripdt1) td={td4}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "ad qi0 sp1 0 0 0 0 qi 0 or tripdt={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xout1 qi q vdd vgnd cd40_out_1x vdd2={vdd1} speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xout1 qi q vdd vgnd cd40_out_1x vdd2=(vdd1) speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xout1 qi q vdd vgnd cd40_out_1x vdd2=(vdd1) speed2=(speed1) tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xout2 qni qn vdd vgnd cd40_out_1x vdd2={vdd1} speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xout2 qni qn vdd vgnd cd40_out_1x vdd2=(vdd1) speed2={speed1} tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Questionable use of curly braces in "xout2 qni qn vdd vgnd cd40_out_1x vdd2=(vdd1) speed2=(speed1) tripdt2={tripdt1}"
Fatal Error: u1:in1:b1: Unknown circuit node: "nc_07" requested in behavioral source
Yup....All those errors is LTspice complaining that it cant find attributes with the values in brackets.
That's why you should use the CD4000 library and its custom symbols.

The CD4000 library also has symbols containing special attributes to support the library.
I have the special symbols so no errors were produced when I tested the .sub file
The autogenerated ones do not work for this library.

Really....if you want to do a quick simulation...just place the .asy and .sub in the same folder as your schematic
Place the symbol, Then add the .inc statement on the schematic like this:

.inc CD4000_v.lib

That's it!

This works for any symbol and model file and is recommended by the LTspice group. I recommend this method for new users.

Many posters describe fancy ways of managing LTspice symbol and model folder paths and really mean well but many time that just causes frustration and confusion for new LTspice users. I recommend to accumulate some experience with using LTspice first….then do the fancy folder management others posters describe later.

Also...be aware that when you "autogenerate" symbols the path to the .sub file that was used is added as an attribute into the new symbol.
This causes problems if you move the model file. I usually remove the this value from the attribute. But you after doing this, you do have add the .include directive to the schematic.

attached is a symbol that should work with the CD4013B model file I uploaded:

eT

Attachments

Last edited:

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
You have a problem because you've got a piece of model ripped out. Look carefully at the contents of your model file. It has strings that begin with the letter X. These are links to other sub-circuits that do not exist in your file. You should use the entire cd4000.lib or cd4000_v.lib file. These libraries are on my page, including symbols that feature a link to the libraries inside (unlike those in YAHOO GROUP). There is no need to put the ".inc ...." or ".lib ..." directive on the field. LTspice is my working tool, and I did everything I could to make it as convenient as possible for them to use it. Therefore, I advise you to visit my page again and install my library according to the instructions on it.
Then you can see how my library is organized by example.
I regularly update my collection of models and symbols. When I meet someone else's scheme in LTspice, I add new models to my collection.

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP Lol! I say by length of _gripe list_ on post 33 your newfound love of LTS is totally unrequited:p!

So being totally serious I was going to post snide remarks abt LTS total lack of user friendliness! But looking on responses and on how friendly and helpful other ppl are being, I know everybody can't be out of step with Aleph:oops:

HP So I need to ask question (that I totally promise isn't just to be _contrary_ even though you always _brush it off_:rolleyes:!) Which is why bother with simulator when u have whole private lab equipped with full range of high end test gear? Cuz I honestly can't think of anything any CAD suite can do that you can't do just as easily in your lab and then you know for sure ur getting good data:confused:?

Anyhow like I said I'm not here to bash LTS! Cuz I say it's totally awesome how nice everybody's being which since they're spice users means there must be way more to spice than meets the eye:)!)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I honestly can't think of anything any CAD suite can do that you can't do just as easily in your lab and then you know for sure ur getting good data
Then you aren't thinking very deeply. ;)

Say you have a complex analog circuit with high impedance nodes, operating at 100MHz.
I know of no instrument that can measure the voltages and currents (especially currents) at all the circuit nodes without significantly disturbing the circuit operation.

Also suppose I want to test the circuit operation with worst-case values for all the components.
Try doing that in a real circuit. :rolleyes:

Those are some of the reasons you do simulations before you do the breadboard.
I have found many errors in my designs by simulating them, which saved me a heck of a lot of time, money, and grief, when doing the breadboard (which in some critical circuits had to be a PCB).

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Then you aren't thinking very deeply. ;)

Say you have a complex analog circuit with high impedance nodes, operating at 100MHz.
I know of no instrument that can measure the voltages and currents (especially currents) at all the circuit nodes without significantly disturbing the circuit operation.

Also suppose I want to test the circuit operation with worst-case values for all the components.
Try doing that in a real circuit. :rolleyes:

Those are some of the reasons you do simulations before you do the breadboard.
I have found many errors in my designs by simulating them, which saved me a heck of a lot of time, money, and grief, when doing the breadboard (which in some critical circuits had to be a PCB).
Spot on, @crutschow!:cool: --- Further to that, @Aleph(0), as you know, despite my academic background in mathematics and physics -- I am an EE by avocation only- Serious, lifelong and wholly dedicated - but avocation all the same! -- Hence my liability to 'gaps' in my knowledge on the subject.:oops:

The widespread use of Spice by the professional EE community tells me such is a highly valuable tool - and its mastery, an indispensable skill! Said skill including --to no small extent-- proficient interpretation of results -- IMNSHO Spice was neither intended as a substitute for 'in vivo' evaluation nor, indeed, to "chew one's food for them" but, rather, (at very least) a preliminary 'feasibility study' --- For all that, I'm pleased to learn that you are maintaining an open mind on the subject!:)

To all interested parties: Firstly - many heartfelt thanks for your efforts, assistance and provision of resources:)! -- Please know that I will return early next week with trials of and responses to your suggestions (and, doubtless, many further questions:oops:)

FYI -- As it stands, I'm traveling with 'web' access through my 'Hubs' via RA (Spec: 'TeamViewer') with (seemingly insurmountable) formatting difficulties:rolleyes: -- In any event I wish to give this subject --and your assistance-- the undivided attention it deserves! -- hence my brief 'hiatus':)

Very best regards