LTspice and RLC simulation

mahela007

Joined Jul 25, 2008
Hi.. I'm having trouble simulating an RLC circuit in LTspice.
According to other JAVA applets on the internet, the current must first increase form a 0 value to a peak value and then drop of, following a wave like pattern. In LTSpice, the current starts at a high value and gradually decays (and then follows the wave pattern).

I'm trying to simulate a charged capacitor discharging though an inductor. To do this, is used the .ic dirrective to specify that the capacitor is charged at the beginning of the simulation.

(the circuit is a basic RLC series circuit)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You should attach your simulation .asc file for those who have LTSpice installed, and an image of your circuit (.PNG preferred) for those who don't.

Including images and source files leaves nothing to the imagination of those who may wish to help you.

mahela007

Joined Jul 25, 2008
The circuit, as I said, consists simply of a capacitor, a resistor and an inductor connected in series.

Anyway, I think I found the solution. The "skip initial operating point" option must be selected in the simulation commands window.

Attachments

CraigHB

Joined Aug 12, 2011
Yes, LTSpice will assume initial DC operating points as do most simulators. You can either skip the initial operation point solution or set up your input signals so they are zero initially. I usually just set up my inputs as required.