Lower surface tension solder?

Member02

Joined Mar 23, 2010
I know this is a silly question, but out of the sake of foregoing the etching process, I was trying to design something on protoboard, but the solder won't allow my to connect holes into rail lines via solder...

I've seen it done before, where someone painstakingly made all the pathways by connecting the solder holes, but I can't for the life of me get the solder to connect from one blob to the next!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Not sure because I've stayed a way from that type of board, but I think your supposed to bend the leads on the components so they touch each other and then solder. Over longer distances you use a jumper wire( a insulated wire with the ends stripped to connect the components) No solder will work on a non-metallic surface, like the unplated part of the board.

Member02

Joined Mar 23, 2010
yea I was getting the realizing that, I already starting using copper, but pre-tinned would just tickle me pink!

Thanks! yea, stay away from these boards! I only did it because I needed 34 of them and didn't have the time to etch and drill 600+ holes...

In case you are curious, it's going to be an rs-485 node network. but I tell ya, wiring two RJ-45 jacks to a single sided board is a bad idea. No matter what you do, a minimal of 8 wires will have to overlap.