Low V led?

Bobbed750

Joined Nov 2, 2013
I am needing to know how I could make an led light turn on when voltage on a 18650 battery goes below 3.2v

The battery will be at 4.0 volts fully charged.

Thanks in advance guys!!

Bobbed750

Joined Nov 2, 2013
I'm pretty new to this whole electrical thing, Could you put it in layman's terms for me?

I'm building an electronic cigarette "mod" and need the led to indicate when my internal battery drops below 3.2v, so I know when to charge it without having to pull it out and put a multi-meter on it. Will be a sealed unit with usb charging,

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Then it should be possible to choose a current limiting resistor such that you have less than a two-to-one change in LED current as the battery discharges.

What is the current rating of your LED? How bright do you want it to be? How long do you want the battery to last?

Bobbed750

Joined Nov 2, 2013
Then it should be possible to choose a current limiting resistor such that you have less than a two-to-one change in LED current as the battery discharges.

What is the current rating of your LED? How bright do you want it to be? How long do you want the battery to last?
The current is rated 28mA, Near full brightness would be good since its only a 0.8MCD LED.

I really appreciate your help guys

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
I am needing to know how I could make an led light turn on when voltage on a 18650 battery goes below 3.2v

The battery will be at 4.0 volts fully charged.

Thanks in advance guys!!
If you want an LED to turn ON below a certain voltage, a comparator circuit should be used.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you need more help just ask. No one is born knowing this stuff, and I like what I call do nothing circuits.

Austin Clark

Joined Dec 28, 2011
It may be easier to string together a couple LEDs to get close to 3.2 Vf, and then connect that, through a resistor, to your battery. Then, when the batter falls under 3.2V and the LEDs go out, or when the LEDs rapidly start to go dim, you'll know you need to charge. Maybe connect a "test switch" so that the LEDs aren't always on when the battery is charged and needlessly draining it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It may be easier to string together a couple LEDs to get close to 3.2 Vf, and then connect that, through a resistor, to your battery. Then, when the batter falls under 3.2V and the LEDs go out, or when the LEDs rapidly start to go dim, you'll know you need to charge. Maybe connect a "test switch" so that the LEDs aren't always on when the battery is charged and needlessly draining it.
Really? Given that newer generation LEDs start at 2.5V Vf, and go as high as 3.6V Vf or more it is really impractical. Older LEDs drop a lot less due to different materials, but trying to match a voltage to LEDs suggests you think you do not need a current limiting resistor, which is far from the truth. The old generation of LEDs are rare too.

I would suggest reading the link in post #9.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Note that the assignment here is to turn on an LED when the voltage drops, not turn it off! The Joule Thief is fine, but what's its function here?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I'm pretty new to this whole electrical thing, Could you put it in layman's terms for me?

I'm building an electronic cigarette "mod" and need the led to indicate when my internal battery drops below 3.2v, so I know when to charge it without having to pull it out and put a multi-meter on it. Will be a sealed unit with usb charging,
The shops around my way have Vapourlires or E-lites, the Vapourlites already have a function for the blue LED in the end to flash when the battery needs charging - the E-lites effectively cost double because you have to buy the USB charging bit separately, so I haven't tried those.

There is possibly a question mark over the reliability of the suction sensor in the Vapourlite - especially if you refill from bottles of the fluid instead of buying expensive refill tips (the fluid can leak into the battery compartment and contaminate the suction sensor) I have stripped a couple and found that the battery charge control chip can be used with bigger/other lithium cells.

A quick google came up with various third party suppliers offering tips with various different resistance - allegedly affects the flavour. I'd be interested to see any discussion that develops on which tips/batteries etc are compatible with what.