Looking to wire relays on top of existing momentary switches

Don_Thate

Joined Feb 6, 2021
That's were your problem is. You don't branch off the pads you have to connect into the wiring which I'm trying to explain in the post above.
Ah! Well therein lies the source of my confusion, it would seem. Apologies for misunderstanding earlier, and thanks for your patience.

I've just gone absolutely ham with my multimeter here and present for you the scribblings of an absolute madperson, bent on making use of the pen that came with their laptop at least ONCE, darn it. I've attached the Down, Open, and Up positions and wiring (colour coding as it comes from the motor/DC assembly).

@Art Mezins I was just watching some YouTube, funny enough, and came across a video mentioning the reversal of polarity to the motor based on switching action, demonstrated by two SPDT relays.

Does this help? I feel like I'm very close to an understanding here!

*Edit to add: I can measure anything that'll help here.

Attachments

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Just need to measure on the pins in the connector that I labeled 1-4
1613091235884.png
measure across 1and 2 then across 3 and 4 and see what you get.

Don_Thate

Joined Feb 6, 2021
Just need to measure on the pins in the connector that I labeled 1-4
View attachment 230168
measure across 1and 2 then across 3 and 4 and see what you get.
Both switches open:
1-2 closed
3-4 open

Up switch closed:
1-2 open
3-4 open

Down switch closed:
1-2 closed
3-4 closed

So based on this, it looks like the Up switch is wired NC, and the Down switch is wired NO?

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
So based on this, it looks like the Up switch is wired NC, and the Down switch is wired NO?
Great that's all you need to know.
Wire the Down relay across the two wires coming off pins 3 and 4 using the C and NO contacts.
The Up relay C and NC contacts must be wire in series with the Up switch.
You do that by cutting either wire on pins 1 and 2 and connect one end to C and the other to NC on the relay.

Don_Thate

Joined Feb 6, 2021
Great that's all you need to know.
Wire the Down relay across the two wires coming off pins 3 and 4 using the C and NO contacts.
The Up relay C and NC contacts must be wire in series with the Up switch.
You do that by cutting either wire on pins 1 and 2 and connect one end to C and the other to NC on the relay.
Okay! Based on what you've said here, I've mocked up a diagram that looks like maybe a second-grader was involved, but it gets the point across I think. Can you confirm my understanding is correct before I go connecting everything up? It makes sense to me but another set of eyes would be great!

(Side note: if I can buy you a coffee or some other beverage of choice, let me know and I'll find a way to do it. Thank you very much for your help.)

Attachments

Art Mezins

Joined May 26, 2019
Still missing are the two connections to power. Since this has a DC power source, that requires the power's polarity to be reversed to change the (DC) motor's direction. This is normally done with a cross-connected DPDT center-off momentary switch. For more details, see: https://forum.digikey.com/t/polarity-reversal-using-a-dpdt-switch/626
The case that you have using 2 momentary SPST microswitches should be as shown here: https://electronics.stackexchange.c...otor-with-2-microswitches-reversing-direction