Looking for some advice/feedback on a planned circuit, it's a combo 12vdc / 110ac thing -DIY UVC sterilization chamber safety concerns

fatair4me

Joined Apr 1, 2022
Here are pics of the wiring. The DC control section is shielded by an aluminum plate (I should have gone a little thinner on that). All the 110 Vac stuff is in aluminum conduit and an aluminum enclosure, the enclosure and fluorescent lamp are both properly grounded:

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The project looks good, and even the wiring diagram was OK to trace, despite not using standard electrical circuit symbols. One of the better wiring diagrams that I have seen, really.
And certainly the package will be safe,both from shock hazards and any hazards associated with component failures. It should last a whole lot of years.
But you won't make money selling them, but that is OK because it is not a design intended for mass production.

fatair4me

Joined Apr 1, 2022
I rigged it all up and it worked as expected (thanks to all of you that provided feedback on this thing). So, it works great electronically/functionally speaking, and I think it is safe and nothing is overloaded (again, thanks to you guys). It draws .68Amps vac while operating. I also took advantage of thee limit switches NO and NC outputs to put an interior LED light strip that runs right next to the lamp fixture so it is in the shade of the main lamp (not sure it that thing is going to survive UVC over time since it is basically all plastice, but we'll see). So if the door is open and the power is on, the interior of the box is illuminated, and that shuts off when you close the door. I used some tech-flex fiberglass/foil tape shiething on the DC wires that were exposed and an automotive connector for the fans since the fans are not mounted to the top of thee box where all the rest of the electronics are.

I am still waiting for a plunge router for mounting the limit switch, so I still have some more work there. I'll post some final pics of the thing once it is completely done along with lessons learned and things I would do differently next time.

I may end up using 2 limit switches for redundancy/safety sake, I'll wait to see how much difficulty I have milling that front board for the limit switch and then decide. But, I am pleased with the whole thing for sure. It's kind of funny, it makes me think its something from the Medical Division of Martha Stewart.

Hey, if you guys see any no-no's with the physical wiring or the schematic, let me know, your input/feedback is always much appreciated and I could not have built this beast without out it!

fatair4me

Joined Apr 1, 2022
Yeah, I used OpenOffice to draw the schematic and I have very little knowledge of how to draw it properly, but I understand it and you guys do too so that is good enough for me. I am certainly not going to even think about mass producing this thing, I am just making 2 of them (one for my Sister, and one for me). I'll have a final weigh in and post some more later, but the thing is no light-weight that's for sure, it must weigh at least 50lbs at this point. I think the box started at about 35lbs as shipped in the box.