Looking for small connector.

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Hello all,

I am looking for someone that has personal experience with a particular type and size connector for a wire-to-wire coupling application.

The constraints are:
-1.5 - 2.5mm pitch
-24 AWG wire (preferred...)
-male/female ends lock together somehow
-GOLD-PLATED terminals on either side
-Overall length less than 25mm/1"

I have looked everywhere; molex, jst, harwin,......and I can't come up with anything that has each of these characteristics.

Does anybody reading have any experience with this sort of connector? Any suggestions/industry standard part suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Best,
Paul

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
# of conductors?
single row or multi-row connector?
ribbon cable?

Do you have existing crimp applicators? brand?
Do you want IDC?
why a defined pitch for wire-wire?

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
3, single, regular wires on crimp terminals

-yes - we have a company that (makes <- wrong word) assembles connectors and harnesses; they'll have the right tools
-IDC?
-pitch size helped me estimate the total size of the connector width-wise.

I have contacted a sales rep at JST and will let you all know what they bounce back with.

I will look into samtec; not familiar with them.

Thanks all

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
BTW.. another vote for samtec..
They are an awesome company..
That is my first stop for connectors..
Then TE

I tend to avoid JST and don't get me started with Molex..

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Samtec looks expensive...am I wrong? We're looking for quantity piece pricing of <=$1.40 for the entire wire-to-wire connection. JST is someone we deal with, which was why I contacted them. Apparently, gold pins are available for the options I listed and they just don't specifically mention them in the parts' respective datasheets.

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
The original Molex connector was great until the 60*C/95% 1000 hour extreme environment testing caused them to deteriorate in performance with tin-plated connections.

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
I also was pounding TE's website this morning, but I just couldn't find a connector type with all the constraints and gold pins. There were several that were close though. I may contact one of their reps as well.