Looking for project suggestions oner a broad range of situations..

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Looking for some simple projects to build that will cascade into each other such as a Celsius temp sensor, then a temp controller, then combined with a Uc to do some other task like open or close valves or solenoids, or direct fluid flow a certain way based on output from the Uc. I would like to start out as basic as I can for each circuit and get each one to work properly then progress up the chain and add the recently created item to the next level of project sort of like a daisy chain. That way I get practical hands on experience and can experiment with various wiring and boarding techniques as I go. Once I breadboard the circuit I want to draw it onto a board and assemble that section to test it for proper function before I add more and increase the complexity. Any suggestions of reading or study material that does projects similar to what I would like to do? TIA for any suggestions or leads to an experimenter book, or manual like I described, I'm having trouble pulling an idea out of blank space so maybe a previous project would be just as good for the experience and circuit building skills development I am seeking.

Bob

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I liked the score board Chris Chris Chris built a while back. It had simple up/down counters, thermometer, time keeper, and clock. Lots of potential use, and it can be started simply both with discrete and µC type projects. It even had a automatic dimmer for night time/day light use.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here's one I did yesterday. Other people are saying things about making it with a PIC microcontroller. You could do that for a learning project. Change the sensors to LM35 for Celsius. You could change it into a thermometer instead of a differential controller.

Attachments

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I've done this. I started with a Pickit 3 and Pic debug board. I did all the tutorials before striking out on my own. I added an LCD display and some custom interfaces to make each project more meaningful. Then I began to add other components one at a time (temp, current, voltage sensors, etc) Inthis way, each project builds on the next. This is one way you might proceed.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Bob,

Any uC you're planning to use specifically? You mentioned working with PICAXE and PICs before here. If you don't have much in the way of uC experience, I think PICAXE is great platform to start from. However, it does have its limitations, the greatest of which is speed - but that's only an issue of you're attempting to execute several tasks simultaneously. I've usually found a way around this when needed.

If you're planning to really get into uC's, PIC would be the way to go.

I think Tracecom has done a couple of projects involving a temp sensor with uC's. I'm happy to help if you plan to use BASIC language, otherwise I'll leave you in the very good hands of the C programmers. :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Here's one I did yesterday. Other people are saying things about making it with a PIC microcontroller. You could do that for a learning project. Change the sensors to LM35 for Celsius. You could change it into a thermometer instead of a differential controller.
If you want to go really slowly, step-by-step, you can make the temperature sensing circuit and use a simple LCD panel meter ($5 - $10) for the display. If you use an LM34 (F) or LM35 (C) chip for direct temp to hundredths of a volt sensing.

Many panel meters can be adjusted to move the decimal point and voltage range where you want it with a pair of resistors.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Bob,

Any uC you're planning to use specifically? You mentioned working with PICAXE and PICs before here. If you don't have much in the way of uC experience, I think PICAXE is great platform to start from. However, it does have its limitations, the greatest of which is speed - but that's only an issue of you're attempting to execute several tasks simultaneously. I've usually found a way around this when needed.

If you're planning to really get into uC's, PIC would be the way to go.

I think Tracecom has done a couple of projects involving a temp sensor with uC's. I'm happy to help if you plan to use BASIC language, otherwise I'll leave you in the very good hands of the C programmers. :)
Thanks for the reminder about that thread, I apologize that I had completely forgotten that one from a while beck. It has been sort of hectic here lately since I adopted two full blooded German Shepherd Service Dogs that washed out of training. They have kept me hopping for a good bit and things had just started to slow down when I posted the second thread. I'll have to go back and review it because I do have plenty of Picaxe and speed is not an issue for this project which is the Picaxe shortcoming in general...Thanks for the reminder!!!

Wheelchair Bob