Looking for informative notes about reduced voltage motor contollers.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Hello.
I'd like to build a circuit that reduces the voltage supplied to the motor to the minimal voltage it needs in order to drive its load.

Can anyone refer me please to an application note or anything else that is helpful and will give me something to start off with?

Thank you.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Try googling for the LM317 datasheet, that is a 3-pin device that gives you a lower voltage very easily. It's good for about 1 amp, if your motor needs more than 1 amp there are larger devices that do a similar job.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Thank you very much.
Do you (maybe) also know about schematics/app. notes that can be found about that?
I was hoping to build it from scratch.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The datasheet shows how to setup the LM317 with just 2 resistors to give a low voltage. If you change one of the resistors to a pot you can adjust the voltage and find the point where the motor starts turning. There's info on that in the datasheet too.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
The RB,
Thanks.
I mean if you know of any schematics of this controllers that do not use ICs, but "regular" components?
I'd like to build it without using ICs.

BeenThere,
Its for single phase motors.
I assume the controller receives the power line voltage (110Vac/220Vac) and the current is what the motor draws from the power line.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
AC motors require a certain amount of power to start and run. That power is the product of the line voltage times the current draw. If you reduce the starting voltage, the consequence will be increased current. In a very real sense, the motor is already running under the minimum practical voltage conditions.

If your motor starts under no load conditions, you may get away with some current limiting to hold down starting current, but that can get you into trouble if you load the motor later. Startup surge is very transient, and normally presents no problems with operation.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Thank you very much :)

As far as I know, it is possible to reduce the motor's input voltage during normal operation (not just on start-off) and by that saving true power during all the time the motor works.

I searched through alot of places in the web but couldnt find even one schematic of such device.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I was not aware that input voltage to a motor and true power savings were related. When a device wishes to use a certain amount of power, it will do so. As power is the product of voltage and current, reducing one means increasing the other so the product stays the same.

Let's say your motor runs on 115 VAC and 2 amps, meaning a power consumption of 230 watts. If we reduce the voltage to 90, for the power to remain the same, the current goes up to 2.55 amps. How does this save true power?

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
My apolgies alphacat, I just assumed it was the most common type ie a little DC motor.

Re an AC motor, some types can be used with a "triac drill speed controller" this will reduce the motor speed and power consumed, generally they work ok with hand tools but won't work on most big motors (like lathes) or fans etc.