Looking for help

jstrike21

Joined Sep 24, 2009
Hi, I'm currently going into my Junior year as an Electrical Engineering major and I just learned that I could get a double major in EE and Mathematics with a few extra classes. My question is, would it be beneficial for me jobwise to go after this?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
This is an, "Only you can answer" question.

The more documented knowledge you have helps. But, If double majoring is going to effect your grades in the other major, you are better off "specializing".

If you get a 4.0 in your EE, it is better than getting a 2.8 in EE and 2.8 in Math.

You can ALWAYS take the other classes later. Dont overwhelm your studies if it is going to affect your GPA.

Workload is a killer.

If you find you are having a problem in the job search, go back and take the math classes. You may be able to test out of many of the classes if you know the material and shorten and lighten your workload.

JimG

Joined Dec 7, 2009
Don't pursue the additional degree. You'd probably end up in at least a few courses that have little relevance to engineering.

Do take as much math as you can fit into your schedule -- particularly applied math. The knowledge gained here will be more valuable in the long run than the extra credential.

Jim

Dalaran

Joined Dec 3, 2009
I just finished a degree in Engineering Physics and Management. It combines a an engineering major with a commerce major. I quite enjoyed it. The work load was only an extra 2-3 classes per year (and 5 years instead of 4) and taught me many things I would not have learnt otherwise. I believe it definitely help me get a job.

I say if you are interested in the 2nd major, and don't believe it will majorly affect your other courses learning/grades, then go for. If your in doubt however then scrap it, you can always take them later.

Tobias

Joined May 19, 2008
I have a CIS degree. I graduated with a 2.95 GPA. The summer before I graduated I was awarded an internship at Anderson Consulting (Accenture now)
I found out I had the lowest GPA out of all the applicants. I got the internship because of my wide range of work experience (none of my previous work experience was IT related) and good BS skills, BS meaning I can have a conversation with about anyone.

After I graduated I was offered alot of great jobs and it was mainly because of the internship and work experience. I really think that anymore, GPA is good but employers have found that GPA isn't the only thing to hire someone. I would say you can't go wrong having another degree. Either one or many degrees, .... work your ass off getting an internship. That will set you apart from your peers because you can prove you are already hire-able to employers.