Looking for help wiring a Dayton 1LPN7 Gear Motor

ryants

Joined Jan 7, 2013
Hi,

I'm a total rookie with electrical work and gear motors and need some help. I just bought a Dayton 1LPN7 gear motor from Grainger as part of a pig rotisserie build.

See link:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAY...earmotor-1LPN7

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with the wiring. I connected the black and white wires from the motor to the black and white wires from a 14 gauge 3-wire plug (the motor doesn't have a ground wire, so I didn't connect the green wire from the plug to anything). When I plug the wire into the socket, the motor doesn't spin, it just vibrates a little and gets warm.

Do I need to get a capacitor? The motor instructions and specs make no mention of needing a capacitor, but I'm now reading on a lot of websites that you need a capacitor to run a single phase motor.

Also, this motor has a brake with two "C2 blue" wires. Any idea how to wire that?

Hopefully the info that I've included in this post can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong. Any advice would really be appreciated! Thanks.

Ryan

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I am guessing. Maybe the brake is engaged and keeping the motor from turning. Perhaps the two blue wires have to be connected to disengage the brake. Just another guess!

At $350 and with no thermal protection, I wouldn't keep power on it until I figured it out.

ryants

Joined Jan 7, 2013
I am guessing. Maybe the brake is engaged and keeping the motor from turning. Perhaps the two blue wires have to be connected to disengage the brake. Just another guess!

At $350 and with no thermal protection, I wouldn't keep power on it until I figured it out.
Yep. I was thinking that might be it too - that the brake is engaged unless its powered up. Any idea what the two blue wires should be connected to?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
If you want another guess, maybe the two blue wire connect to power to engergize an electromagnet that opens the brake calipers. That being said, I don't think I would try it if the motor was mine. :eek:

ryants

Joined Jan 7, 2013
If you want another guess, maybe the two blue wire connect to power to engergize an electromagnet that opens the brake calipers. That being said, I don't think I would try it if the motor was mine. :eek:
I think you're probably right. In any case, the motor isn't getting powered up again until I figure this out!