Looking for help on a project.

e55driver

Joined Jul 22, 2014
I don't have the parts. All I know is that the switches are three way, there are relays, breakers and indicator lights.

e55driver

Joined Jul 22, 2014
If there is a easer way to do this, I will pass the info on. As I don't even want to mess with electricity near any water source.

e55driver

Joined Jul 22, 2014
You can look for parts at http://www.digikey.com

But I can tell you - these DIN rail parts are 10 times more expensive than underlying PCB parts.

As for the wiring diagram, you probably should ask the original poster.
Can you explain what PCB parts are? I'm trying to get a parts list together for the facilities electrician to see if he can or will build it for the aquarium there.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I need help in creating a wire diagram and a parts list for a customer. I just have no real electrical knowledge.
Do you hear yourself? I'm sure you want to do a good job but it's like asking how to build a nuclear power plant without any experience.

Do I understand you that the goal is to reverse-engineer the system in that thread? I'd look for someone with enough experience to recognize how that system was built. I suppose that's why you came here, but the folks at that forum may have more specific knowledge about the components, suppliers, safety codes, and so on.

e55driver

Joined Jul 22, 2014
As I said before I'm trying to get list together so it can be done for me. I know what I can do and what I can not. I'm not even pretending that I know anything about this kind of electrical work. I came here for help, not to have my very limited knowledge of this kicked around. Some people here have been very helpful and I thank you.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

First, no one is trying to make you feel bad. We're asking you to step back and think.

You first state the project is a few posts down. That thread is nine pages long with 225 posts and, for reasons unknown, I went through them all. However you reference relays and a switch panel which is the second picture shown in the first post. When referencing another thread, it helps others to be as specific as possible, such "the second picture shown in post #1" so others don't have to read an entire thread looking for what you want. Most won't.

So, assuming this is what you're interested in, we'd need a lot more information. For instance, this system was made in Brazil where presumably the OP is using single-phase 220VAC or three-phase 380VAC. Are you also in Brazil?

This brings us the next and perhaps most important question, what is it you want to control? Are you trying to re-create what the OP did exactly including the quantities, make and model, and so on of all the pumps, filters, lights, and control system? What brought you to that thread to begin with?

I hope you see where I'm going - it's not that we don't want to help and we're certainly not trying to insult you, but there isn't enough information to even begin. If you simply want a basic control panel, then tell us what it is you're controlling including makes and models and what it is the panel needs to do, e.g., turn lights/pumps on at certain times or simply allow the end user to use switches to control everything manually. Most here aren't licensed electricians with a background in working around water, so we hesitate to make much in the way of suggestions. Because we're also talking about controlling mains voltage with someone who is clearly not at ease with it, we hesitate even further. The last thing we want to do is make a suggestion and have someone hurt or kill themselves because they didn't know what they were doing or failed to mention some critical detail (because they are unfamiliar with the subject). Yes, we know you'd hire a professional to install, but that person would be working from our "best guess" and if we miss something, you're customer or their system may be at risk. Per wayneh's suggestion, you're much better off asking a forum dedicated to that topic. If you need help sourcing a part or verifying it will work, we're here for you.

As for the wiring diagram, you probably should ask the original poster.
I have, with no luck or even a response.
Have you read the thread in its entirety? The OP seems very helpful. I saw other posters ask him twice for a wiring diagram and both times he said he'd post it the next day, but I assume he got distracted or otherwise busy. However, he's been very open and responsive in general and last posted something a little over a week ago, so the thread is very much alive and kicking. I'm pretty sure if you gently nudge him, he'll post something on this.

Ultimately, what is your role and goal in this? We understand you're not overly comfortable with electricity and you're trying to quote something for a customer. What is it you do? General contractor? I'd strongly suggest getting a quote from a local place that specializes in making aquariums. They'll know the right questions to ask and be able to give you a quote for a complete (and safe) system. You can think of them like a subcontractor, get a quote, add your time/mark-up, then present to your customer. This will be your easiest and safest bet.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Then a parts list may be enough for the client.
A bit like the chicken and the egg!
To produce a parts list, you require a schematic, alternately the whole system shown in the link will have to be reverse-engineered by someone on the spot.
Either that, or a detailed explanation of what is required for the control in question so a schematic and specs can be drawn up.
Max.