Looking for help/advice to create the simplest/easiest circuit to produce a double beep when power applied

bbrenhoch

Joined Feb 1, 2022
Greeting and Salutations,
I was looking for a little help as I only have very basic knowledge of circuits(I'm much better at engines and mechanics). Forgive the newbie-ness, I haven't done much with circuits since my childhood(70's and 80's) and my Radio Shack "150 in One Electronic Project Kit" but certainly willing to learn new things :)

I'm presently building a ScootSki (take a scooter remove all body parts and combine with junk Seadoo hull with large hole cut in the bottom) and thought it would be a fun addition to replicate the "double beep" that SeaDoo's produce when the key is attached. Pics of present project below

My goal is to build a simple 12v DC circuit that will give me the "double beep" every time power is switched on to the circuit just like below video

Sample of the beep at Timestamp 2:45

I have been researching and of course I've found information using monostable, astable, and bistable multivibrators. Also found info on 555/556 and even possibly using an arduino. With all the options it has left me a tad confused on the best option...

I'm trying to determine what would be the simplest and/or easiest circuit to build so when I apply power to the circuit I get the "double beep"

I have a buzzer and the Seadoo key to act as a switch to apply power, I just need some guidance with the magic in between the switch and the buzzer. Many Thanks in Advance

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

The simplest is a tiny 8-pin microcontroller chip. No other components required.
Of course, it needs to be programmed. If you are not able to do this yourself then find someone to do it for you.
If you don't know someone locally then there are many members here on AAC who can help you.

bbrenhoch

Joined Feb 1, 2022
Welcome to AAC!

The simplest is a tiny 8-pin microcontroller chip. No other components required.
Of course, it needs to be programmed. If you are not able to do this yourself then find someone to do it for you.
If you don't know someone locally then there are many members here on AAC who can help you.
Thank you @MrChips is there any particular brand/model number that you can recommend or just go google shopping? :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Don't worry about the brand. There are many to choose from.
It needs to be programmed. Your first step would be to find someone who is willing to program it for you.
You have two options as I see it:

1) Have someone program the chip and send it to you.
2) Learn how to program the chip yourself with assistance from someone. That person would write the program and send it to you so that it can be put into the chip. You will need a special piece of hardware (called the programmer) and a computer in order to "flash" the chip.

bbrenhoch

Joined Feb 1, 2022
Don't worry about the brand. There are many to choose from.
It needs to be programmed. Your first step would be to find someone who is willing to program it for you.
You have two options as I see it:

1) Have someone program the chip and send it to you.
2) Learn how to program the chip yourself with assistance from someone. That person would write the program and send it to you so that it can be put into the chip. You will need a special piece of hardware (called the programmer) and a computer in order to "flash" the chip.
I would definitely be interested in learning how to do it... The whole give a man a fish vs teach a man to fish thing :) I did find this along my travels and am guessing the programming might be similar?

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/beep-buzzer-twice.123193/

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you want to learn all the steps on this journey, tell us your level of knowledge and expertise working with an MCU (microcontroller unit).

bbrenhoch

Joined Feb 1, 2022
@MrChips I have very little knowledge related to MCU's. I believe they are programmable Integrated circuits however I have no expertise in what types are available or how to program them.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That programmed micro controller may not be able to deliver the 1 volts at one mp to power the
Beep-beep", and so amazingly enough it gets a bit complicated at this point, because it also needs to be packaged. So the one-part creation suddenly gets quite a bit more complex And it needs to have a control program written.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
One suggestion of many possibilities are the ATTiny microprocessors.

They can be programmed with the Arduino IDE (free) and a programmer from Sparkfun. A complete plug and play system. One advantage is that the programming language is a variant of C and there are many resources and references readily available for the language and the Arduino IDE.

NOTE: IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment. It contains a smart editor (recognizes keywords and formatting of the language), library manager (pre-programmed routines for many external devices), compiler and uploader. All in a single program.

bbrenhoch

Joined Feb 1, 2022
@MisterBill2 good points. Did you mean 12 volts? Here are the specs of the buzzer I'm planning to use
  • Rated Voltage: 12V; Range of Voltage: 3-24V
  • Rated Current: 15mA at 12VDC
  • Sound Pressure Frequency: 100dB at 12VDC /30cm
Do you think the MCU should be able to drive that?

It will definitely need to be packaged but should be able to be easily hidden under the Seadoo hull.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
@MisterBill2 good points. Did you mean 12 volts? Here are the specs of the buzzer I'm planning to use
  • Rated Voltage: 12V; Range of Voltage: 3-24V
  • Rated Current: 15mA at 12VDC
  • Sound Pressure Frequency: 100dB at 12VDC /30cm
Do you think the MCU should be able to drive that?

It will definitely need to be packaged but should be able to be easily hidden under the Seadoo hull.
The MCU will drive it, with a few external components. A linear regulator and it’s required capacitors to drop the voltage to 5V for the MCU. And a transistor (MOSFET) and a couple of resistors to drive the 12V beeper.

Where the application is a SeaDoo, packaging is important to protect the circuit (or any circuit) from water. I’d consider a non-acidic silicone.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Have you tested the buzzer?
Buzzers tend to emit a buzzing sound.
A Mallory Sonalert outputs a high pitched alarm that is very loud. You can get different frequencies and intensities.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Once I did lots of messing about with microcontrollers, then I learned about the ESP devices that come pre-assembled on nice board easy to add on to. A big plus is they have a USB socket right on board so all you need to program them is a USB cable you may well already have.

For your task I would look at the D1-Mini, perhaps 5 bucks each if you can find someone selling just one.

Writing the program isn't very hard though it is in C. The web is stuffed with tutorials, all the tools (programs) you would need to write your program are free.

Here's one on Amazon

Most of the pins can marked "D"-something be used as either an output or input. Oh, they also have Bluetooth. And Wi-Fi. Mine work with Alexa.

bbrenhoch

Joined Feb 1, 2022
@MrChips the one I have is relatively similar in sound the whats in the video but I'm game to try the one you are suggesting as well. I just need to determine the best way to get 2 quick chirps out of whatever output noisemake I decide on :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Producing one beep is easy. It takes one 555-timer circuit.
Two beeps is three times the effort. You need three 555-timers.
Our you can do it with one LM556 dual timer plus one LM555 timer.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Really, generating two beeps can be done with a bit of CMOS logic running at the 1 volts. NO PROGRAMMING AT ALL. A simple counter with some delays and reset at power off. But it is 3:35 AM and now is not the time to design logic.
AND for use on a sea-doo the package needs to be waterproof and very rugged because those do bounce a lot.