Looking for guide or help to build a low power tracking / detector device. Distance up to 200m.

PeterPawnee

Joined Jul 15, 2019
Hello.

Looking for guide or help to build a low power tracking / detector device.

We use winch in our soaring club to get the gliders airborne. At the end of the robe there is a parachute (for the wire) and a safety weak-link that can break if the force approaches maximum. If this happens a rope between the parachute and the glider might disappear in the field next to our airfield. The rope is equipped with safety hooks etc. and the cost is around 150$ and furthermore the farmer don’t like to pick up our rope with his harvester!

The rope is approximately 5m long with a diameter of about 1.5 inch.

I would like to build a transmitter and receiver. Low power transmitter and low cost. Falling distance is about 400m, so solid and small so that we can put it inside a foam cone.

Transmitting distance up to 200m. Receiver with point and sound when we point in the right direction or get closer. Or another way to locate the rope.

GPS with GSM is not our priority if the box ends up-side-down, due to monthly fee and it needs to be recharged often.

Any good ideas.
Kindly regards

PeterPawnee

Joined Jul 15, 2019
Have you a video of what you are describing? Not having a glider makes it hard to imagine.
Hello. Thanks for your reply.

This video shows a winch launch. At the end you see the rope tangling behind the parachute. It's what we unfortunately sometimes drop.
So: 900m wire, parachute(to bring the wire slow down), safety weak link, rope, glider.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Could you just attach a cheapo cell-phone (one with a loud ring-tone) to the rope, then dial it when the rope lands? Perhaps protect the phone with some foam material.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Ok...I am not familiar with your sport. And apparently not a quick pick up of it.

Still don't understand the assembly or see a foam cone. Stick around, we have aviators on here.

PeterPawnee

Joined Jul 15, 2019
Hello there.
The two RF trackers looks absolutely fine. I'm forwarding this to the board so they can decide next step. Thanks for Your help.

If anybody have a DIY system please let med know.

Kindly regards
Peter