Looking for guidance in making a micro buzzer that weighs less than 5g with 1 minute delay

scotsscripts

Joined Nov 24, 2019
Basically the title says it all. I'd like to make a micro buzzer that uses a 3.5v coin battery as power that will start buzzing after a minute. I know I can use the 555 chip (I think that's the number) and a resistor as a controller for the timer, but I'm just not sure how to make it all fit together. If I have a circuit diagram I can make it go, but I've done a lot searching and haven't found anything that is small enough.

Any ideas or circuit diagrams that you know of that does what I am looking for?

I know enough about electronics to get in trouble but when it comes to component design I'm a bit lost. I've tried using online circuit testing/design platforms but haven't had success.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
haven’t found anything that is small enough.
First, for anyone to be able to give you an answer, I think you’ll need to define “small enough”! Is that 50mm square? Or 20mm square? Or something else? How high can it be? 3mm? 5mm? 10mm?

Waiting for a hint...

scotsscripts

Joined Nov 24, 2019
Thanks for your messages.

For the size I want it to fit on top of the 3.5v coin battery, and for height, hopefully not any thicker than the 3.5v coin battery. The thinner the better.

For start/stop/reset I'm thinking of some kind of tiny hardware super basic on/off switch. Even something as simple as putting a pin in a hole to disconnect the circuit and removing the pin to connect it.

The application for this is basically something is going to be hidden, and the buzz will start about a minute later so it can be found.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
if you prog your 555 to your buzzer's frequency then set a capacitor amplifier (delayed start) to it's reset(Outp.Lo) --or-- re-trigger(Outp.Lo) --or-- threshold(Outp.Hi) . . . or use 556

scotsscripts

Joined Nov 24, 2019
I've been learning about 555 chips and was wondering if there is some kind of calculator where I can put in the time I want to delay and then it gives me options for capacitor/resistor pair? The calculators I see give you the time from resistor/capacitor pair, but I don't know what values are feasible. I guess I'm looking for guidance on the best approach in figuring out the hardware needed for a particular 555 chip delay timer.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I've been learning about 555 chips and was wondering if there is some kind of calculator where I can put in the time I want to delay and then it gives me options for capacitor/resistor pair? The calculators I see give you the time from resistor/capacitor pair, but I don't know what values are feasible. I guess I'm looking for guidance on the best approach in figuring out the hardware needed for a particular 555 chip delay timer.
You are in luck. There is. Search for “555 calculator” and you’ll find several sites.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
1 minute is quite a long time for a 555 timer. Given the size constraints you will probably need the CMOS SMD version (a) for satisfactory operation from a 3.5V coin cell and (b) to allow the use of physically small capacitors of several uF capacity. However, depending on the buzzer current draw, a transistor may also be needed to drive the buzzer from the 555 output.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Yes, indeed. Ok, it's not a very long time and is well within the timer's range, but it nevertheless involves high value timing components (resistor and/or capacitor) so needs extra care in avoiding leakage currents if a predictable delay is to be obtained.

scotsscripts

Joined Nov 24, 2019
I haven't figured out what I'm going to use for the buzzer. I'm learning as I go along here, just trying to make it as small and light weight as possible. The batter is a 3.5v coin battery, so it's about the size of a quarter and I want all the rest of the stuff to fit on top of it, small enough so the height is no more than double the coin battery.

I guess there's a reason there aren't any micro buzzers with built in timers out there already, this all seems extraordinarily complicated for such a simple application.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I haven't figured out what I'm going to use for the buzzer. I'm learning as I go along here, just trying to make it as small and light weight as possible. The batter is a 3.5v coin battery, so it's about the size of a quarter and I want all the rest of the stuff to fit on top of it, small enough so the height is no more than double the coin battery.

I guess there's a reason there aren't any micro buzzers with built in timers out there already, this all seems extraordinarily complicated for such a simple application.
Good luck. IMHO, your requirement for the height may be the toughest to beat. I think the buzzer itself may be taller than that.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
this all seems extraordinarily complicated for such a simple application.
The only complications are the size and the fuzzy requirements. For example, typical coin cells (as opposed to button cells) come in four diameters and at least 6 thicknesses. That is a wide range of sizes, and has a direct impact on the level of circuit complexity that can be supported. Also, a 2450 coin cell weighs 6.8 g, which is outside your weight spec without the circuit or buzzer.

Also, the overall diameter and thickness require all surface-mount (SMT) components, and soldering an 0805 resistor by hand takes some skill.

Can the "buzzer" be a piezo beeper instead, or do you really want a buzz-type sound?

ak

Last edited:

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Here is a list of 200 low voltage buzzers.
DigiKey buzzers
Here is a list of 3V coin batteries. (some solder in so you do not need a holder)
coin batteries
I have used 6 or 8 pin micro computers like PIC 12F508 or 10F200 They can do all the timing and logic. These computers are so low power that we sometimes do not include a on/off switch.
1574999442176.png
Snap dome switches: There are many types, but here is one.
switch
I do not like pulling more than 10mA from the little batteries. So pick a low power buzzer.

Last edited:

scotsscripts

Joined Nov 24, 2019
The only complications are the size and the fuzzy requirements. For example, typical coin cells (as opposed to button cells) come in four diameters and at least 6 thicknesses. That is a wide range of sizes, and has a direct impact on the level of circuit complexity that can be supported. Also, a 2450 coin cell weighs 6.8 g, which is outside your weight spec without the circuit or buzzer.

Also, the overall diameter and thickness require all surface-mount (SMT) components, and soldering an 0805 resistor by hand takes some skill.

Can the "buzzer" be a piezo beeper instead, or do you really want a buzz-type sound?

ak
"Buzzer" was just me, it can be anything that makes a sound that can be heard from at least 20' away. I found a piezo with a built in timer on Alibaba but they want a minimum order of 1,000 units...