Looking for Cross Reference Charts

Thread Starter

Charlie C

Joined Apr 26, 2006
3
Hi, I am looking for some cross reference charts for current capacity

example

2.5A @ 125v AC / 1.25A @ 250v AC / 350mA @ 125v DC / ???@ 12v DC


I am trying to assess some AC design switches for 12v automotive use.

If you have a magic formula to do the calculations, that will do just as well.

Thanks, Charlie
 

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
12,775
Originally posted by Charlie C@Apr 26 2006, 09:24 PM
Hi, I am looking for some cross reference charts for current capacity

example

2.5A @ 125v AC / 1.25A @ 250v AC / 350mA @ 125v DC / ???@ 12v DC
I am trying to assess some AC design switches for 12v automotive use.

If you have a magic formula to do the calculations, that will do just as well.

Thanks, Charlie
[post=16582]Quoted post[/post]​
I don't think it is as simple as that. Your calculation suggests that current times voltage equals a constant. In the AC example the constant is 312.5, and in the DC example it appears to be 43.75 which would make the unknown quantity 3.6459 Amps. Over a small range of values this may appear to be a linear relationship but it is not. It is hyperbolic.

Switches are rated according to their contact material and their insulation properties. Using your logic the AC switch could be applied at 1 kV and 312 mA, or 10 kV and 31.2 mA, or 100 kV and 3.12 mA. This would be madness since spectacular arcing might result as the switch is opened and closed.

I don't think I would use a swtich at a higer voltage than it was rated for. I might use an AC rated switch in a DC application, but that's about it.
 

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
605
Originally posted by Papabravo@Apr 27 2006, 01:25 PM
I don't think it is as simple as that. Your calculation suggests that current times voltage equals a constant. In the AC example the constant is 312.5, and in the DC example it appears to be 43.75 which would make the unknown quantity 3.6459 Amps. Over a small range of values this may appear to be a linear relationship but it is not. It is hyperbolic.

Switches are rated according to their contact material and their insulation properties. Using your logic the AC switch could be applied at 1 kV and 312 mA, or 10 kV and 31.2 mA, or 100 kV and 3.12 mA. This would be madness since spectacular arcing might result as the switch is opened and closed.

I don't think I would use a swtich at a higer voltage than it was rated for. I might use an AC rated switch in a DC application, but that's about it.
[post=16585]Quoted post[/post]​
A better way to start would be to know what you want to switch and how much the maximum current will be. Then you can look for a switch that will do it. Your AC switches may be perfect but you haven't given us enough info.
 

Grant

Joined Mar 5, 2006
17
Originally posted by Charlie C@Apr 27 2006, 12:24 PM
Hi, I am looking for some cross reference charts for current capacity

example

2.5A @ 125v AC / 1.25A @ 250v AC / 350mA @ 125v DC / ???@ 12v DC
I am trying to assess some AC design switches for 12v automotive use.

If you have a magic formula to do the calculations, that will do just as well.

Thanks, Charlie
[post=16582]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi Charlie,
Switches made for both AC and DC are de-rated for use on DC because of the arcing that can occur. DC switchgear is in general much larger physically than AC switchgear for the same electrical capacities (think of the old large knife switches). I would be very wary of using an AC switch in a DC application.
Cheers,
Grant
 

Thread Starter

Charlie C

Joined Apr 26, 2006
3
I am looking at using these switches in a 12v DC setting, near as I can work out the amperage draw I will be working with is around 2 to 2.5 amps at startup settling back to about 1.8 amps when running.

When reading the spec sheets on several switches, a few have noted the workable amp ratings at under 30v DC, which are usually about the same amp rating as at 125v Ac.

Most are showing ratings for 125vDC but not any ratings for a lower voltage and I was trying to find some kind of a relationship between the higer and lower voltage situations
 

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
605
Originally posted by Charlie C@Apr 28 2006, 07:43 AM
I am looking at using these switches in a 12v DC setting, near as I can work out the amperage draw I will be working with is around 2 to 2.5 amps at startup settling back to about 1.8 amps when running.

When reading the spec sheets on several switches, a few have noted the workable amp ratings at under 30v DC, which are usually about the same amp rating as at 125v Ac.

Most are showing ratings for 125vDC but not any ratings for a lower voltage and I was trying to find some kind of a relationship between the higer and lower voltage situations
[post=16631]Quoted post[/post]​
With such a low current I would think any switch that is rated at 2.5A would be fine. It doesn't really matter about the voltage part of the rating to much because you are only using 12V it will be well within the rating of the switch. The voltage rating of a switch is mainly there as an indication of the safe working voltage to prevent arching. The current rating of the switch is the current carrying capability of the contacts. Having said that there will be some interaction between the current and the voltage but at the levels you are wanting this would be minimal.
 

My Sammy

Joined Nov 28, 2019
2
Hi, I am looking for some cross reference charts for current capacity

example

2.5A @ 125v AC / 1.25A @ 250v AC / 350mA @ 125v DC / ???@ 12v DC


I am trying to assess some AC design switches for 12v automotive use.

If you have a magic formula to do the calculations, that will do just as well.

Thanks, Charlie
Hey Charlie, if you end up getting it answer that you agree with, could you let me know also? Thanks brother! Brother in electronics.
 
Top